davey
Newly Registered

When to Prune Bonsai?

hi all. new to this forum hope someone can shed some light on this for me please!! I have a chinese elm when should I prune it or is there no hard or fast rule as when to do this.

Marsman
Green Thumb

I, too, have a Chinese Elm and I'm waiting until spring to work it. Here in New England, it's fall and the trees have gone dormant. Not a good time to prune.

webmaster
Site Admin

Our article section has an introduction to [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/03/pruning.html]how to prune a bonsai[/url] that might be of interest to you.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Davey,

Hello and welcome to the forum. Are you keeping this tree as an indoor bonsai or are you going to keep it outside? Are you asking about structural pruning or maintenance pruning? Do you consider the design 'finished' or are you considering substantial changes to the structure?

It is hard to give any meaningful advice without more information.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

Just for clarification, [url=https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Chinese%20Elm/8f6575aa.jpg]mine was bought this fall[/url] and I have it in the ground for the winter. And, I will be doing major work on mine in the spring; air layering and heavy pruning.

djlen
Green Thumb

davey -
Your plant can be grown as an indoor bonsai or an outdoor one depending on whether or not you can support it in terms of light and humidity if grown in an indoor environment.
If you could tell us more about your intentions with it and hopefully a picture we could be of more assistance.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”