builder0101
Cool Member

CUTTINGS FROM DECIDUOUS SPECIMENS NOW?

Hey guys and gals,

If I take cuttings from deciduous specimens now asy from a bald cyprus or Boxwood or some such and root them will they a. root and b. make it till next year's dormancy? Also I have a small home and my wife is alredy unhappy with the few things I have going on now. can I do all fo this with shelving units and artificial light in my basement. I know I do not have to invest a huge ammount in specialty lighting as I have read here. What I do not know is can I do it with just artificial light and say a 12 hr setting on timer more plants more lighs obviously.

Thanks.

Gandalph

I take my Bald Cypress cuttings in winter or early spring. The main problem with hardwood cuttings is water loss through leaves or buds. Generally speaking, your cuttings will not need light as there will be no leaves for the tree to use anyway.I've used a 50% vermiculite/50% perlite mix for rooting but any soiless mix would work.Keeping the rooting medium warm and moist is a must for best results. I emphasize moist and not wet. You don't want your new roots to die back from root rot from being drenched.

Purdue University has a great page for specifics regarding several types pf cuttings and can be found here:

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-37web.html

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

builder0101,

Hardwood cuttings can be taken during cool weather but they are not usually rooted indoors. A cool greenhouse is usually employed, often with bottom heat. BTW, Buxus are evergreens.

I just checked the link that Gandalph provided and apparently some do root hardwood cuttings inside. I can't say that I have ever tried this.

Norm

builder0101
Cool Member

Thanks guys.

"Hardwood cuttings can be taken during cool weather but they are not usually rooted indoors. A cool greenhouse is usually employed, often with bottom heat. BTW, Buxus are evergreens"

Wow I just hit control T and left the site erasing my long winded response. Second time to day I have lost my reply.

Thanks for the advice. By the way I know Buxus well I started the topic with diciduous but then thought of all of my 1, 2, and 3 year old Buxus volunteers. Just did not bother to correct it sorry about that. Just trying to keep you on your toes. Now that I think about it I will probably wait untill mid winter or so and jerk them out of the ground and start with plants instead of cuttings. That should giv them enough dormancy right? Any suggestions?

I have a warmer for a lizzard tank It goes under the bedding medium. You know what I mean right ? can I use that to heat the roots? does not get very hot obviously or it would be bbq lizzard. If it gets too hot I could experiment with various layers of insulation untill I overcome the issue.

Should I put my deciduous cuttings in a moisture bag?

I want to try some rafts.

Thanks and thanks.

Mike

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”