josh1812@live.com

Instant Humidity dome

Will It work if I have a plastic container large enough to hold a bonsai and cover it with a clear plastic wrap can I keep it in there all day?

djlen
Green Thumb

Josh, my thought on this is that you would be better off misting it lightly a few times a day than putting it under the glass or plastic.
You are having issues with the medium being very dense and not draining well. I think you are pushing it by sort of sealing it under plastic. I know that mine doesn't need that much humidity. It likes a nice misting, well drained soil, and nice lighting. Over doing it with moisture would be counter productive, IMO.

JTred
Green Thumb

The most popular way to raise the humidity around your tree is to use a humidity tray, basically just a shallow tray covered in pebbles with a small amount of water. It's important that the water does not come up to the drainage holes on the pot. As dj said, if you are having trouble with a soil mix that is too water retentive then I don't think humidity is your biggest problem. I notice this is not in the indoor forum, is this an outdoor tree or an indoor tree and what species is is specifically? Most outdoor trees are transitioning into dormancy right now and wouldn't really benefit from extra humidity. Even indoor plants don't really need that much humidity unless the heat in your house is on and your air is extremely dry. That said, if you have a free draining mix then I don't see why extra humidity wouldn't help an indoor tree, so long as it doesn't block too much light and you give it some fresh air at least daily.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”