josh1812@live.com

Watering

It has been two days since I last watered my bonsai and it it still moist is this bad? If so what can I do to Fix it

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

josh1812@live.com,

Is this the Fukien Tea from your other thread? If so, the soil looks to be rather dense. At the next re-potting I would use a more open, free draining mix.

Norm

josh1812@live.com

I don't really want to spend that much money can I just use normal potting mix with per lite and coconut husk?

djlen
Green Thumb

josh -

I would not consider the soil being moist 2 days after watering to necessarily being "bad". Some of my trees are moist for longer periods of time than that. When you water from now on, as soon as you see water coming from the drainage holes, you've got enough water in the pot. If you follow this regimen you should be fine.
If you go to Home Depot you will find a product called Schultz Aquatic Soil in a small, I think about 5lb. bag. I would recommend this mixed with potting soil or you preference of media. This will lighten up the soil and let the roots breathe. You will see a tremendous improvement in drainage as well.
BTW, you can use perlite. Just not my first choice. :) Turface or Schultz are a backed clay......Perlite is glass.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”