archibaldwatanabe
Newly Registered

Fukien Tea Tree Bonsai Leaves Falling

Hi, I have a fukien tea tree bonsai, not sure how old and the leaves are all curling up and falling. I have attached pictures with some odd crystals on the leaves. I have never seen this before and not sure what to do, it was doing great for a over a year. I left it in a hot area and it probably dried out around a month ago. What can I do? Pictures will be posted later (when I get a camera)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are waiting for the pictures. Once you get the camera, here's instructions for posting pictures on this forum:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

If you think it was dried up, you can give it a good drenching--immerse the whole pot in a sink full of water and let it sit for a few minutes, then pull it out and let it drain out.

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

I have a Fukien Tea :idea: , and I ditto rainbowgardner.

archibaldwatanabe
Newly Registered

sorry for the delay but I finally uploaded the pictures. Check it out and please give any feedback you might have.. Basically in the last week of August I brought it to a different location and left it unwatered for about 1 week. It was really hot that week and I saw leaves dropping so I moved it upstairs away from the heat. The plant was flourishing in my house.. it always had flowers and the leaves were very glossy.

[url]https://img128.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img8293.jpg[/url]

Rosaelyn

I do not see any crystals on the leaves, but if you are talking about the white speckles, those are normal for Fukien Tea.

One thing, that pot and arrangement look very familiar to what my Fukien Tea looked like when I first got it. I would ditch the moss and the rocks (especially if they're glued on), to start.

Does it still look that way after giving it a good soak like rainbowgardener suggested?

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

I t looks like it is underwatered to me.

archibaldwatanabe
Newly Registered

Ok, thanks for the reply. I soaked the plant in water for like 10 minutes if not more and let it drain out. Is there anything else I can do? This break down has occurred over the past 6 weeks or so. Is there any chance to save the plant? Any fertilizer would help?

Thanks for the reply.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

archibaldwatanabe,
Ok, thanks for the reply. I soaked the plant in water for like 10 minutes if not more and let it drain out.
I'm not sure that I understand completely. japanpsyhic notes that the picture you provided looks as if it is in need of water. And your reply was that you have watered it.

Is not that an old picture by now? Surely you have watered it since the picture was taken.
Is there any chance to save the plant? Any fertilizer would help?
Keep the soil evenly moist, not dripping wet. Don't let it dry out again. Fertilizer won't help right now, especially if you have fertilized it in the recent past. Just try to maintain a good environment and hope for the best.

A humidity tray would not hurt or you might try placing it inside of a large plastic bag to help keep the humidity up while/if it recovers.

Norm

archibaldwatanabe
Newly Registered

@ gnome: It was watered since then, but I usually don't submerge it. I will try placing a plastic bag over the plant. Should it be completed sealed?

archibaldwatanabe
Newly Registered

the plant has been covered with a plastic bag. Isn't there a chance the leaves will get moldy? Is there anything else I should do other than keeping it moist?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

archibaldwatanabe,
I will try placing a plastic bag over the plant. Should it be completed sealed?
It need not be sealed airtight, the idea is just to help with the humidity levels. You can open the bag daily to exchange the stale air.
Isn't there a chance the leaves will get moldy?
Perhaps, if you left it unattended for a prolonged period. When you open the bag daily, check the plant and if you notice any fungal growth beginning remove the bag.

I really don't know what else to tell you just maintain it as best you can. I can no longer see your picture but if I recall the leaves were pretty much dehydrated and I suspect the old leaves will not recover. You are hoping for a new batch of leaves to replace the damaged ones and this might take a while or it might not happen at all. Don't get impatient and do anything foolish like throw it out.

Norm

josh1812@live.com

never mind...

archibaldwatanabe
Newly Registered

around 75F is a good temperature? It is just holding on now with its 7-8 leaves left.

archibaldwatanabe
Newly Registered

All the leaves have fallen off the tree, I wanted to check to see if it was alive so I cut one of the branches... it was a faded green, is it dead? I was going to continue to water it through the winter and see if it comes back in the spring.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”