Sharp

Juniper brittle

After returning from a vacation I find the person I asked to take care of my tree had moved it to a window sill and must not have watered it. ITs brittle and ends snap of, but it still has retained its color.

I soaked it for a good hour in water, moved it back outside and have been misting it. OTher than that is there anything I can do to help? Celaphane bag perhaps?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If the temperatures have warmed in your area and your tree is no longer dormant (after being inside, I'm guessing that it isn't) you could give it some organic fertilizer like liquid fish, liquid seaweed fertilizer for a quick burst of nutrients and/or sprinkle some kelp meal for a slow release of marco and micronutrients.

A short note:

Liquid organic fertilizers are a "quick burst" of nutrients but, not in the same sense as synthetic fertilzers which, plants have no control of how much they absorb because these nutrients are mainly water soluble and are just absorbed by plants.

Organic ferilizers are usually made of carbon compound for which plants secrete small amounts of acid or base to "solubilize" the nutrients that they need.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bag it with the humidity tent first; fertilizing is not a good idea for a stressed tree. Mist and clear plastic, but brittle and juniper in the same sentence is not good :(

S

Sharp

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Bag it with the humidity tent first; fertilizing is not a good idea for a stressed tree. Mist and clear plastic, but brittle and juniper in the same sentence is not good :(

S

Aye, it was a gonner. :(

*shrugs*

Live n learn.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”