horticulture

Starting A baby Bonsai.

Hi :P
My first real plant was a bonsai I got from a neighbor that moved away. She, nor I knew what kind of tree it was. With this plant, my attenting for growing really began to take a sprint. I was just fascinated with growing just about anything and seeing what 'I' can make out of a seed with 'my' care. After moving around and struggling a bit my tree seemed to of had enough of the stress and decided it's life was over sorta say.
After, I have always found bonsai to be intriguing and always wanted to learn more of the art.
I have had some herb plants, flowers, etc..etc.
Right now I have a basil plant in container ( 1 gallon I belive) and it seems to be doing pretty good. Thanks to this site, I found how to best maintain it, and and keet him/her ( I don't know, I love the fact that plants are a living organism and well, 'ya know how some guys call their cars, their 'girls', well, I'm kinda that with plants witch seems to be more realistic..heh)
Anyway, back to the subject.

I know I will have to do some practicing, and reading about growing a new bonsai from seed, and I have no problem getting some ebooks on bonsai. In fact, I already have one but there is tons out there (any you reccomend)

What would be a easy, practical way to grow a bonsai? What type of tree should I use for lower maintence and a easier way to begin?
I have no clue where to get any seeds, and I will be most defenitly groing indoors as I am in the west suburbs of Chicago and winter is coming up. So does anyone have any tips. I cant really think of anything else to type so I will put something up when I have a question...so in the mean time, what do you have to say?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dr.

Hello and welcome to our bonsai forum. It's good to see young people expressing an interest in bonsai. I started when I was young as well but unfortunately, due to a lack of information at the time, I did not stay with it. If you are serious and stable enough (not mentally, but financially and otherwise) you should be able to acquire an impressive collection by the time you are my age. :wink:

If you don't mind I'll jump right to what I perceive to be the 'crux of the biscuit'
Starting A baby Bonsai...What would be a easy, practical way to grow a bonsai?...I have no clue where to get any seeds,
Unfortunately, at least to my mind, these ideas are mutually exclusive. Growing bonsai from seed is a long and arduous process fraught with many potential failures.

Please note that I have not said that it cannot be done, but there are much better ways to approach bonsai, at least at first. Do not limit yourself to growing from seed or cuttings, do it if you wish but also at least consider other avenues of building your collection.

Don't fall into the 'trap' of thinking that you need to create your very own bonsai from the ground up. Instead look for already established material from which you can work with and learn. This could be nothing more than nursery stock or as serious as a professionally prepared tree that you can then refine. If you insist upon doing it from scratch at least follow my advice and acquire something else a little more advanced in the meantime.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Ditto Norm. Growing a tree from seed into a bonsai is, literally, a decades long process. On top of that, the early development of some trees is very important and is also probably THE most difficult thing about bonsai, knowing when and where to work on a seedling. Most beginners should start with materials that are further along, at least a few years old.

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

I agree with both of them. Growing from a seed, takes FOREVER. It is easier for many, and wiser to start with a proutling, or a very young tree that hasn't grow too much yet. I heard, and by experience, that Fukien Tea Trees are a good beginners tree.
They are very sturdy, and do excellent indoors. They also have very "bonsai ancient" looking bark. Many people like there tree to look older than they are. They are traditional grown very curvy trunks, so you can get creative with their branches. I find them easy to care for. Also, they require very little water, and just bright shade, or indirect sunlight. They do well in a house, because they need a little humidity.

[url=https://img19.imageshack.us/I/135217.jpg/][img]https://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4392/135217.th.jpg[/img][/url]

I really hope you find what you're looking for!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”