I have a few ?'s about Root Hormone

1: is there a different one for bonsai
2: does it only come in liquid becuase I bought some and it's liquid
3: mine says you can only use it outside is this true
4: if there is a different one for bonsai where would I find it
5: last one, does it work on seeds or is there a different one for that also

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I only know the answer to 2. I've seen powder root hormone at Walmart, so I know it's made.

And really, they shouldn't be any different for bonsai's, but there might be different ones for woody plants in general.
Last edited by a0c8c on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home Gardener from Austin, TX; by way of Iowa.

GardenerX

k thx

Gnome
Mod

GardenerX,

Bonsai are just trees and shrubs, so no, there is no bonsai specific rooting hormone. Similarly, there are no such things as bonsai seeds or bonsai fertilizers. Although there are fertilizers marketed to bonsai enthusiasts, they would work on other plants just as well as bonsai.

There are different strengths of rooting hormone available, as some species root better with higher concentrations. I have only seen the common (I believe .1%) in local stores though. Rooting hormone is no magical elixir or guarantee of success, consider it an aid. Good cultural practices are still the most important element when rooting cuttings.

Do not use the rooting hormone for seeds that is not what it is intended for, a seed already has an embryonic root contained inside so the hormone is unnecessary and perhaps even detrimental.

I'm not sure of the recommendation of 'for outdoor use only' I have used (the powdered version) inside. If your not afraid to use it outdoors I see no reason that you should not, with common sense, use it indoors. I'm sure it is used in greenhouse situations.

Norm

GardenerX

k thx

bobby50
Newly Registered

hormone

There is 2 types of hormone rooting compound here in Englandshire. Powder and liquid. Both work equally as well. There isn't any specific details on outside or inside so both can be used in either case. Lastly , don't use rooting compound on seeds, it won't do any good and may in fact cause a problem with germination.
As stated by Gnome there isn't a bonsai specific compound.

happy bonsai'ing

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”