Earl K
Green Thumb

Dormancy period ?

My Chinese Elm lost all its leaves about 3 weeks ago.I thought it had died and almost gave up on it.How long does a tree go into dormancy? and does this type tree even do that?I did peel back a small piece of bark and there was green in there and all the branches are still tough and not brittle.Think its still alive?Thanks in advance :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Earl,

Yes Chinese Elms will go dormant under certain conditions but the problem is in your climate I would not expect it to do so. Even up here my Chinese Elms are reluctant to shed their leaves even when fully dormant, often retaining some leaves until spring. So the fact that your tree shed all of its leaves is worrisome.

It may still be alive but there is cause to be concerned. How long have you owned it? Do you know how long since it has been re-potted, and what condition is the soil in? Has there, by any chance, been any spraying in the vicinity? Did anything else change recently? Any signs of insect activity?

Make sure not to water it with excess frequency, a leafless tree will transpire less water than it had been.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”