artisanoo

affordable wire cutters for bonsai?

Hi, I am about to make my first purchase of wire to get started learning how to wire and train - seems all the cutters I can find are exhorbitantly expensive.

is there any tips anyone can lend on where I can get an affordable set of bonsai-suited wire cutters? or rather, what to look for?

perhaps something available in a typical hardware store that would be acceptable, at least to learn with?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

artisanoo,

I have to admit that I ruined my first pair of concave cutters by trying to sharpen them without knowing what I was doing. I now use them as wire cutters and they seem to work OK for me. You can try the electricians tool called diagonal cutters, also known as 'dykes', but I find them too blunt at the tip, a good pair is not cheap either.

Norm

Striferitus
Cool Member

I make jewlery and chainmail and all I use for wirecutting isnt anything special. either snips for close up if say I'm next to a tree, or if I'm just cutting wire to size I just use my handy pliers. if your worried about sharp edges from the pliers just either sand the wire or cut diagnoly then make a small little cut the the point of the wire is.

strife. or max either or

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”