Richard Tuur

Juniper

I was wondering if the Juniper I bought from a greenhouse in Mississauga should go outside right now, or wait for warmer days for this year and then leave it out for next years winter. [Southern Ontario-still around 0c these nights]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm guessing that you tree was grown in the greenhouse? What are the outside temperatures in your area? I'd say that once the ambient temperature is up to 60 F that it should be good enough to move the tree outside. However, if the tree has been grown inside until now, don't just throw your tree outside, you are going to want to "harden it off" by placing it outside during the day and taking it in at night for about a month then, move it outside for a full time basis.

Richard Tuur

Yes, it was grown in a greenhouse. My temp. right now is still going down to 0C at night or even a few below, and daytime temps maybe around 7-12C. But I gather from your comments that I should wait for much warmer days this year to 'harden' it, and go for the full blown wintering next season. Is that correct? And I was wondering about next winter. If I do not have a greenhouse, how about my basement window well. This window well sits about 2 feet below ground level. If I leave it in there with plexiglass over the top for light, would that be good. I figure it would protect the plant from the
minus 15C-minus 20C temps we get in southern Ontario, yet be cold enough for a good dormant condition. Does this make sence?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh! A fellow metric user, that's great! No conversions in my head. :)

Yes, I would wait a little bit until the temperatures warm up a little to start hardening your tree off. These trees are built to handle cold temperatures and dry spells but, that does not mean that you should overly stress your tree or.... brown needless. Not a good thing.

Anyway, with regard to winter; I would personally move your tree next to the house for some shelter during the winter. Window sills are actually really bad for plants, especially in winter.

I think that Scott (the HG) moves his trees into his garage during the winter.

Another option would be to move your tree directly into the basement.

I personally like the outside option but, that's just me.

Richard Tuur

Thanks a lot for the insight. Very helpful indeed. :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Richard, I'm sure that Scott will lend his insight soon as well.

Richard Tuur

Hey opabinia51, thanks for all the advice.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome. Enjoy your tree. Does it already have a style or are you to style the tree?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I've a window in my unheated garage (no vehicles ever in there unless you count kayaks) and I keep them a bit away from the window), Works a charm. My maple is out tonight; it'll go to freezing but no more and it's just starting to flush...tropicals inside still...

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Awesome Scott. :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”