Striferitus
Cool Member

Soil comp for japanese maples

I have recently bought 3 japanese maple seedlings ( I know a little late) they came without a pot so I combined some sand and high quality gardining soil, as a temporary mix, I was wondering what would be a good mix to make for these little guys?

thanks

Strife

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Striferitus,

I think you should try for a mix that is more open than the one you have now. I would think something roughly 50/50 organic/inorganic with a larger particle size should be about right. For this year the late season re-potting means you are going to have to provide additional protection.

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fallpot.htm

Norm

Striferitus
Cool Member

so I could repot it and not kill the plant? :D

Striferitus
Cool Member

should I remove all the leaves when I repot it I heard this reduces stress on the plant. should I do it tho?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Striferitus,

I don't re-pot temperate deciduous material at this time of year, I feel it is inappropriate in my climate. I don't think removing the leaves is necessary at this time of year, the weather is cooling down, they cant have too many leaves yet and they will be gone soon enough anyway.

My feeling is that you should leave well enough alone for the remainder of the season. Protect the pots well and prepare for next spring. Either that or set them out in your landscape to allow for some growing time. Seedlings are slow to thicken in pots.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”