majerez85

Mites in Soil

There are little grey mites or at least thats what I think they are, they are only in the soil in the root base, should I be worried how can I get rid of them? thanks for the help.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Doubt they are mites; probably a larval stage of something else that will eventually fly about...

Try a neem oil drench (mix as recommended and water); let us know if they persist...

Scott

majerez85

I found out that they were springtails.. what should I do to get rid of them?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That is up to you. Springtails are harmless and actually a good sign of organic healthy soil. If you can't live with them a light organic pesticide like a pyrethrine or oil should do 'em in...

HG

kell
Newly Registered

Yea I also have noticed little things in my soil also, only they arnt grey mine are white, do you think they are the same thing and can they harm the tree. Thanks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Probably springtails, but images would help...

Creatures living in soil are generally feeding on soil (as always MANY exceptions but in general). Saprophytic fungi (turns out I was spelliing it wrong :oops: ), earthworms and springtails are good examples of the creatures who feed on soils and decaying matter. Some bad guys have grub stages that eat roots, or live in the soil and feed on plants at opportune times (like weevils). We need to start sorting one from the other instead of killing 'em all and letting God sort 'em out, as the saying goes... :roll:

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”