georgina
Newly Registered

dead branch

Hello
I am very new to bonsai but bought myself a japanese privet, I was told it is 30-40 years old. All the branches were in leaf but now one branch seems to have lost all its leaves and looks pretty dead to me I have scraped one small area and it does not look green. The branch is quite a big one and is toward the top of the tree. I do not know what is the best way to proceed because it now looks as though one other branch is loosing the leaves as well this is on the same side of the tree. All the other branches are in seemingly good condition and are growing leaves well. Any advice would be very helpful!
Georgina :(

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That is either a direct attack on that branch, or on the root supporting that branch. Can we get images?

HG

georgina
Newly Registered

Hello
Thanks so much for getting back to me, I am very happy to send images but how do I do that on this site or shall I send them to you direct? I did not mention I am in the UK and this tree is kept indoors.
I will await you reply Georgina

william

Hi I am also new to this , the following may help you post an image.

First of all you need a digital picture of your tree stored upon your pc.
then
go to a web site called Exoload.com

This is a free file uploader,

Click on the browse button and this will allow you to select a file ( the image your trying to post) from your pc you may have to search around your pc to find the image your looking for.

once found simply select the image and it will appear in the browse box.

Then click on the upload button ( blue colour).

you will now see a number of coded links in boxes, Simply copy and paste the link from the box titled BB code to show image on forums and then paste onto a reply page on this forum.

then preview your reply and you should see an image of your tree.

Submit the reply complete with code and we will also see your image,
Just be careful to preview before you submit or you may have some embarrassing times ahead.

Oh and you can add text to your reply before you submit.

hope this helps,
william

georgina
Newly Registered

Hello William
Thanks very much, will give it a try!
Georgina

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks William

Scott

georgina
Newly Registered

Hello, right I finally got my daughter to upload some photos for me, here they are. I took one of the whole tree so you can see what it is, and then two of the bare branches.
I want to know if it's safe to cut the branch off...or should I leave it? I broke a piece of it off at the top of the branch and it looks pretty dead to me. Obviously I don't want to cut the whole thing and then it blead or something.
Please help!

Ok, I can't get the photos to work in here, so please take a look at this site, go to the 'tree' galery (my daughter has done it for me) and then you can see the photos there.

https://jasmine-evans.magix.net/

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”