Mariahzeyes
Newly Registered

Help! New Bonsai owner of Chinese Elm.

I purchase my bonsai about 18 months ago not realizing what a commitment I was making. I think it might be a type of boxwood. It has gray bark with very dark, tiny, serrated green leaves. Right now the leaves keep budding out and falling off. I live in Phoenix AZ and don't know wether to keep it inside our outside. Help!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mariahzeyes,
I purchase my bonsai about 18 months ago not realizing what a commitment I was making.
Yes, caring for a bonsai might be likened to caring for a pet. It is a living thing that is dependent upon you for its very existence. No pressure though. :wink:
It has gray bark with very dark, tiny, serrated green leaves.
Does not sound like a Boxwood to me, more likely a Chinese Elm. Have a look at this picture. The shoot on the right is from a Chinese Elm.

[url=https://img255.imageshack.us/I/zelelmzz6.jpg/][img]https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2258/zelelmzz6.th.jpg[/img][/url]
Right now the leaves keep budding out and falling off.
You are going to have to provide some more information if we are to help you. What kind of environment are you keeping it in, light, humidity, temperature? How, and how often, do you water it? How would you describe the soil, dense and peaty or loose and gritty? Are there pebbles glued to the surface. Have you fertilized it, and if so how much and how often? Etc, etc, basically anything you can think of.

Norm

Mariahzeyes
Newly Registered

okay lets see if I can be more helpful on my end. The tree is about 10" tall and in very "peaty" soil. I live in Phoenix AZ so it is inside because it was 105 today. The temp in the house is around 80 and pretty dry. There are no pebbles glued to the top. I was watering by immersion but now am reading that may not be the best. I was fertilizing it about every month. Sometimes I think I am watering it too much other times not enough. We recently moved. It used to live in a bathroom on a window sill and it liked that. None of the bathrooms here have window sills. It doesn't seem to get enough sun left in a sunny room. But it is way to hot to set in a window sill. After doing some research I realize that I should have been misting it and wasn't so now we have started on that course of treatment.

Also the leaves do not look like either of the ones you showed me. They are shaped more like the ones on the right but are about the size of a top of a pencil eraser. Hope this helps

Mariahzeyes
Newly Registered

oops. I should have said that they are shaped more like the ones on the left. But the indentations are much deeper maybe almost scalloped would be a better description.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mariahzeyes,

Keeping with what you said earlier:
It has gray bark with very dark, tiny, serrated green leaves.
My best guess, lacking a photo, is still Chinese Elm. The leaves can vary from variety to variety, have a look at this.
[url=https://img244.imageshack.us/I/elmleavesnq3.jpg/][img]https://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2779/elmleavesnq3.th.jpg[/img][/url]
All four are different varieties of Chinese Elm. If none of this helps you will have to post some photographs.

I think you recognize some of the problems but have not taken steps to correct them.
The temp in the house is around 80 and pretty dry...It doesn't seem to get enough sun left in a sunny room. But it is way to hot to set in a window sill.
Low humidity and low light are very hard on most plants. My default position is to keep bonsai outside unless the owner is simply not able or there is some compelling cultural issue. Lacking an identification it is hard to give definitive advice.

If it were outside at least you would have adequate lighting. Can you provide a location that gets some partial shade/filtered sun? How about under a tall tree? If not there are products available that will provide some relief. Look up the term 'shade cloth' I'm sure a clever person could rig up something to filter the sun. Do they still make snow fence?

Try to post some photographs if you can.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

I would change the soil to something better draining and keep it indoors. Here is some information on how to post pictures here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557

Mariahzeyes
Newly Registered

Dear gnome,
Thanks for the help. You are right. It is a chinese elm. The leaves look like the ones in the upper left corner of the last picture. After some research I think I have been alternately over watering it and then letting it dry out too much. I have started misting it at least once a day. I am doing the Japanese version of "Water it twice" and instead of having it on a watering routine I am really examining the dirt to see if the top is dry. I am putting it in the window after the sun moves over the house. I just have to remember to move it before I go to bed. I am really hesitant to put it outside. It is supposed to be 113 today and I am afraid it would just cook. I paid what I consider alot of money for this plant and I was told that it was already 30 years old. I would feel bad if it went into "permanent dormancy". Well see if this cures it's ills.The leaves that are remaining do look healthier already. We will see.
Thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Mariahzeyes,
Dear gnome,
Thanks for the help. You are right. It is a chinese elm.
You're welcome. A proper ID is an important first step.
After some research I think I have been alternately over watering it and then letting it dry out too much.
Try using the 'Chopstick' method to judge when to water. See this:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479
I am doing the Japanese version of "Water it twice" and instead of having it on a watering routine I am really examining the dirt to see if the top is dry.
Excellent, always water thoroughly but only water when necessary. In your climate, even inside, that may very well be daily. Modern bonsai soils are more forgiving about watering frequently but unfortunately the peat based soils many commercial bonsai are in can retain more water and in turn require closer observation.
I am putting it in the window after the sun moves over the house.
Lack of sunlight is probably part of your problem. Our homes are very dim relative to the needs of most plants and if you wait until the sun has passed your plant is likely not getting enough light. If you don't feel comfortable taking it outside or leaving it in a window then I'm afraid you are in for trouble. Alternatively, there is always artificial lighting.

Are you running air conditioning? If so, that is another strike against the current situation, although I realize that outdoors is a fairly harsh environment as well. Consider using a humidity tray to increase the humidity in the vicinity of the plant.

I'm sorry, it seems I have no easy solution for your predicament as I live in a much different climate and am able to leave my trees outside.

Norm

P.S. These local enthusiasts will be better able to advise you than I, and joining a club is an excellent way to gain confidence and seek local expertise.

https://www.phoenixbonsai.com/PCalendar.htmL

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”