Richard Tuur

Soil?

I was wondering what you all think about using pure Akadama as a growth medium, instead of a soil mix. I have just potted up my Juniper and my Ficus Microcarpa in this, after reading in several books that this is a good way to grow Bonsai. I guess it will really need regular watering, as it drains fast.
Any thoughts?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I've never used it myself mainly because of the advice given to me from the bonsai instructor who .... instructed me :? Anyway, according to what Scott has told me; the Akadama has been heat treated (I think) such that it does not clump together and it apparently does contain some nutrients.

As said, I don't personally use it and prefer compost and (usually) potting soil but, there are drawbacks to that as well.

Oh, and I am sure that Scott will be here soon with the correct take of his on Akadama (sorry Scott if I messed up what you said before)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No Opa, you have it...

I do not much like straight potting soil as it does not withhold nutrients and makes watering a much trickier process to gauge (*between too wet and too dry).

That said straight Akadama does not hold a lot of nutrients and is a better call for evergreens (Pines in particular would dwarf much better from this treatment), so this might work for the juniper, but the ficus is a hungry feeder and used to jungle soils; not as good a fit. Read this...

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/03/soil.html[/url]

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”