Denver Bonsai
Newly Registered

Pruning and Style Question

Friends,

I have finally figured out how to upload pictures. My question regards pruning and styling. The tree below is what I am working with. Sorry the picture is bad...it's a cell pic. At any rate, this tree is about six years old. I keep it outside, have had it a couple of months, and it seems to be in good shape.

It obviously needs some pruning, so I wanted some help and suggestions with that. As you can see, the previous owner cut off the tip of the branch extending from the side, so I believe it will be difficult to get a cascading style. I have thought of cutting off that entire branch near the main branch. Could/Should I do that? Will it kill the tree?

If I keep it as is, any recommendations on how to style this tree? New here and need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance everyone!

[img]https://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9711/juniper.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Denver Bonsai,

The branch that has been pruned does have new growth that could be encouraged (wired/pinched) to grow in the direction desired. You could style it as a cascade or an informal upright that decision is yours to make. Sorry I can't be more helpful, and I am not being glib, but styling decisions are very much subjective, your tree, your decision.

The picture is a little blurry and I can't really see the detail but I'm sure you could wire one of the new shoots into a more horizontal position if that is the direction you decide to take it. Indeed, the entire branch could be reoriented should you desire it. There is also the possibility of changing the angle of the tree in the pot to emphasize the cascade aspect.

As difficult as the horticultural aspect of bonsai can seem at times styling is the real hurdle. Without art all we really have is a potted tree.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”