Nordo

Sub-Tropical Area - What Bonsai?

I have done a lot of gardening over the years, but am a complete Newbie at Bonsai. :oops:

I live in south east Queensland, Australia, which is a subtropical area. Winter temperature ranges from a low of 10C (48F) to a high of 24C (73F), and in summer a low of 20C (66F) to a high of 42C (106F). Humidity ranges from 30% in winter, up to 100%+ in summer.

I have the options of indoor (no a/c), outdoor, and covered verandah to grow my bonsai.

I want to start with maybe 6 plants, so that if one dies, I'm not back to square one again. :wink: I need an idea of what trees would be suitable from my environment?

Also, keep in mind that I'm over 60 :oops: , and I don't want a plant that will take 5o years before it starts to look good. :)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Olive trees are sub-tropical and make great bonsai. Pomogranets are another good choice as well.

Nordo

Thanks for that.

What height could these trees be bonsaied to?
I don't want to be trying to do the impossible. :wink:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

As small or large as desired.

Nordo

Great. Thanks for that.

I guess it comes down to the size of the leaves / fruit being in proportion to the size of the tree.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

True, but you can get the leafs to become smaller by pruning, and remove the fruit if it becomes to big, such as in pomogranites. There are pomogranits that produce dwarf fruit, although I do not think it is edible.

Nordo

I think I've got a lot to learn about bonsai. :wink:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The best place to do so is at a local library or book store.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Ficus, definitely I'd choose Ficus. They're easy, readily available, hardy, and fast growing.

Nordo

Ficus sounds good. Quite common in our area.

Any particular species? Or doesn't it really matter?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Nordo,

Some where along the way I read that F. benjamina do not respond well to severe trunk chops. Being contrary, as I am, I had to give it a try with a few F. benjamina Mini Lucie that I have been growing. Sometime over the previous winter season, sorry I don't recall when exactly, I cut two down to bare trunks.

Well here it is approximately 8-10 months later and still no new shoots have formed. The trunks and exposed roots are firm and if nicked are still green underneath. The trunks are obviously still alive but refuse to sprout. I have maintained them as I have my others which are fine.

Conversely, Jerry shows a variety of this species that has back budded so it is possible.
https://www.bonsaihunk.us/ficusforum/FicusTechniques/FigTechnique15.html

I like the look of 'Willow Leaf' Ficus but don't own one, Google it and see what you think.

Norm

Nordo

Thanks Norm
If you Google ficus with images, you get some good looking bonsais using ficus, and the majority appear to be benjamina. This site shows some classic bonsais including some ficus.[url]https://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/bestof.php[/url]

I was going to go out this weekend to see what the local nurseries have, but we have people staying for the weekend, so I guess I'll have to wait. :?

Just checked out the link you put up. What an amazing transformation - and in such a relatively short period of time. I didn't realise you could bonsai such a mature tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”