Dokuja

Pest control for Brazilian Raintree

Hi all,

So I was trimming my Brazilian Raintree this morning and noticed that there is a slight pest problem. There are these tiny flies that sort of look like gnats with whitish/greyish wings flying around my tree. Also, I think I might have noticed something that looks like white larvae on some of the leaves, but I wasn't too sure. What would you guys recommend I do about this? First off, do you guys know what type of pest these guys are? Also, how do I get rid of them? And is there anything I can do as a preventative measure against pests? Thanks in advance for your help guys, I look forward to reading your responses!!! ^_^

--Dokuja

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dokuja,

The flying insects could be Fungus Gnats. Their larvae thrive in damp, organic soil. The others might be Aphids which come in various shades. If you go to Google Images and search on 'Aphids" you can compare the pictures against your observations.

I don't own this species but one of the most common solutions you will see suggested here is Neem Oil. You should either wait for an OK from someone more experienced with thas species or go slow and try it out on a small area first. There are also insecticidal soaps available. Either of these are likely found at your local big box store.

Norm

Dokuja

Ahh I see, thanks for your help! I took a closer look at the pests and they have black bodies with grayish wings and they are about the size of gnats. There is also a somewhat spotty, yet condensed whitish colouring on some of the new growth branches...what do you guys think that this is? Also, I would hate to treat my tree for the wrong pest, do you have any idea what these are? Would it be bad if I treated the tree like you said? Or can all trees basically take the same treatment regiment? Thanks!

--Dokuja

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

It may be a type of fungi. Pictures may help with the identification of these spots.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”