noodles777

Brazilian raintree indoor?

I've been trying to do my research on brazilian raintrees, please excuse my ignorance I'm completely new to bonsais. Quite a few threads said that they do well indoors but other sites say full sun. . isn't tht completely the opposite? Whatever I decide to buy I would keep indoors the majority of the time by a window. Also In anyone's experience with them what soil has worked well, I know there is no universal answer to this...I was thinking a mix of baked clay, I've heard sphagnum moss and orchid bark can be good to add? Any info would be greatlyappreciated, I murdered my poor juniper :( now I know it was supposed to be outside. Hoping to avoid anymore bonsai funerals :shock:

arboricola

noodles;

Rather than a raintree might I suggest you look into the Texas Ebony. Ebonys are native to southern Texas and north eastern Mexico and have been grown in New Mexico and Arizona as landscape trees. This tree will do well in your area.

Here's a link where you can read about the Ebony and its care.
https://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

My tree gets a couple hours of morning sun and sits in bright shade the rest of the day. When inside it sits on the floor 1½ feet from the lights. It will do well by a window with strong light. This tree grows very slow and lives a long time.

Check out the link and if you have more questions give me a shout.

Phil...

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

One can grow both indoors so long as they get bright light (like a south facing window).

noodles777

Ok thanks. I think I'll give the texas ebony a shot I found one much cheaper than the raintrees it seems like a nice starter. any input on the soil? Baked clay? fir bark? mixed together?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Some sort of inorganic medium mixed with some conifer bark should do fine.

arboricola

noodles;

These trees will grow in just about anything. I have mine in potting soil and sand. About a 40/60 mix. In your area you may want to go with a little more organic to help retain moisture.

Phil...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”