wilmawombat
Newly Registered

Help! Think my Chinese Elm is dying

Hi everyone

I bought my bonsai tree in early July, this is my first one. It is a Chinese Elm, and I bought a small book to help with its basic care.

I also got a bonsai tree food dropper, but it seemed to half empty overnight (its meant to use one drop a day!!!), so I removed this quite quickly.

I have been on holiday for nearly 4 weeks, and my parents were keeping an eye on our plants.
When I got back yesterday my bonsai tree leaves were all crispy, but green in colour. :cry:
There are a couple of yellow leaves, but it had these when I bought it (only about half a dozen yellow leaves). Also, it drops a few leaves, but again it has always done this.

I'm not sure as to whether the tree has been over watered or not watered enough?? My book, and other internet info, doesnt say what the leaves would look like in either case. However, the soil is moist.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction, and any information and advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it includes enough info to help diagnose a problem!!! :?

Many thanks
Wilma

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Wilma,
I also got a bonsai tree food dropper, but it seemed to half empty overnight (its meant to use one drop a day!!!), so I removed this quite quickly....I have been on holiday for nearly 4 weeks, and my parents were keeping an eye on our plants.
When I got back yesterday my bonsai tree leaves were all crispy, but green in colour.
How long were you able to observe it after removing the fertilizing apparatus? Did it show any signs of drying during this time? It may have been over fertilized. What strength was the product in question? I would not trust this type of delivery system, instead mix and apply your fertilizer yourself.

It also sounds like it could have been under watered, actually what is commonly called fertilizer burn is the movement of water away from the leaves rather than its usual direction, toward the leaves, so it is not surprising that both conditions appear similar.

Since we don't know for sure what the cause is lets assume, for a moment that it was over fertilized. Flushing the pot with a large quantity of water would be prudent. If your soil drains as it should this should not be a problem. I can literally pour water right through my medium. Mass produced bonsai often are in poor soil though so it probably won't be so easy for you. It would really help to know more about the ratio of the fertilizer and the quantity the tree received.
However, the soil is moist.
That does not meant that it had not been allowed to dry out previously. How long have you been back in charge of it? Chinese Elms are pretty resilient and unless it was neglected for an extended period of time I suspect it will recover. Don't try to overcompensate with excessive water of fertilization, in fact considering what happened. don't fertilize at all for now.

Norm

wilmawombat
Newly Registered

Hi Norm,

Many thanks for your reply, really helpful.

The drip feeder doesnt state its strength - it is a 'drop by drop' feeder by 'spotless uk'. It states it has 32ml in the feeder, and it looks like at least half has gone, and I noticed this the day after I put the feeder into the bonsai soil.

Like you have said, I think it has probably been over fertilised - I do have some mix it-yourself stuff, which I will use in the future.

I only got back late last night, which is when I noticed the dryness - the leaves are all completely crispy :cry:
I did say to my parents not to over water it, so it probably hasnt received as much water as needed.

Do you think I should remove the dried out leaves? The leaves are actually dropping a lot more now, and they are seriously crispy.

Again, many thanks for your advice and comments, they are much appreciated.

Wilma x

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Wima,
Many thanks for your reply, really helpful.
You're welcome, glad to help in some small way.

I still find myself unsure as to whether or not the tree reacted to the fertilizer or other issues, such as under-watering. That's why I asked if you know how much time elapsed between the mishap with the fertilizer and the trees difficulty. If it was OK for a week or so afterward then it is less likely the fertilizer was to blame and I would suspect that your parents neglected it in your absence. If the problem occurred soon afterward then I would be more inclined to suspect fertilizer burn.

Regardless, It won't hurt to give the pot a good flushing out by repeatedly watering with clear water. Hopefully this will help remove excess fertilizer. If that is not the cause, the brief excess of water will do no harm. By brief I mean over the course of a few hours, not long term.

Norm

wilmawombat
Newly Registered

Hi Norm,

Sorry I forgot to say how long had elapsed between the fertiliser overdose and me noticing the problem.

The fertiliser problem happened around the 10th of July, a few days after I bought the Bonsai, and I didnt notice anything amiss up until we went away on the 17th. I wonder if the fertiliser had burnt the roots, would the problems have manifested by then?

I was away for 4 weeks, and I confess I was worried my dad may over-water the tree, and left a spritzer bottle for him to water the plants with - I specifically told him to only water the tree when the soil felt dry.

I have now read many other threads on this forum, and have seen that the spritzer bottle really isn't suitable for watering a bonsai, and so I think it possibly is lack of water.

I have given the bonsai a good soaking (30 mins, up to the pot rim, as seen in other posts!!), and I hope to see some improvment. If the tree does recover (fingers & toes crossed!!), I am going to invest in some proper bonsai soil - does any one have any recommendations for a good soil?

Again, many thanks for your help, me and my Bonsai really appreciate it :D

Kind regards
Wilma x

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”