AudreyM
Newly Registered

Bonsai Zelkova - Watering!

Hi Folks :D

I'm new to this forum and to the world of Bonsai trees, so really hoping for some advice.

My husband has longed for a Bonsai tree for ages and we finally bought one a few days ago. The problem is neither of us have a clue about plants really, let alone Bonsai trees. I have tried searching the net for some info and have read a number of sites, but still a bit unsure of the best way to ensure we are watering adequately. Can we just pour water directly into the soil? I have read about submerging the pot into water, but that sounds a bit scary! Also how much water is enough? I also read about feeding the wee tree, can I use ordinary plant feed?

Apologies in advance for my silly questions, but just want to do the right thing. I also so a post about doing something in the winter months (planting it outside!). Can I just keep it indoors and do the same as usual?

Any suggestions would be really valued and thanks in advance.

Audrey
From Sunny Scotland. :roll: :roll:

manIK

Hi Audrey, welcome (:

The first thing everyone is going to want to know is what type of tree you have - If you can post a picture of it, including the state of the soil, the better.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The best is using a fine shower of water to wet the tree until it comes out the drainage holes. Water only when the top of the soil is dry. As for fertilizer, any fertilizer can be used, but most beginners choose slow release pellets.

AudreyM
Newly Registered

Hey manIK, thanks so much for getting back to me.

So, it's called a Zelkova on the wee tag I got with it. I've took a few photo's but a bit unsure how to insert! Can you give me the dumbies guide!

Cheers,
Audrey
[/img]

manIK

clicky=> [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Here is a thread[/url] on how to post images.

AudreyM
Newly Registered

Great :lol: now fingers crossed this works.

So, I've posted 3 images, 1 of which shows the soil at the moment - it's looking really dry (not good!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aud_tel/3792227259/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aud_tel/3793046830/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aud_tel/3792235085/

Your thoughts welcome,
Thanks again,
Audrey

manIK

I'm still learning about Bonsai so I'm not much help but I do beleive you're right in that the soil is a bit dry looking and overall, seems to be a might too dense of a material.

It also looks like the tree is sitting on top of the soil more than 'in it' - I would repot into a deeper pot (take everything I say with a grain of salt - the pro's will be in shortly) Also consider cleaning off the base, It's looking like it could have some densly caked on dirt that, if removed, will help let the tree breath more efectively.

Sumberssion is a good thing but only when you have a good soil mix as you wan't consistently proper drainage.

AudreyM
Newly Registered

Thanks very much manIK. Yeah, I see what you mean about the pot being a bit small looking! Yikes, this is getting too technical for me. So do you mean that I need to remove some of the soil from the top "densly caked on dirt" - and should I go ahead and water it now by just pouring into the soil?

Sorry for asking silly questions.

Much appreciated,
Audrey

manIK

Don't sweat it Audrey, I know it can seem daunting at first.

Hopefully someone will come in with more info but for now, I would submerge it - Though be careful because you might just float that soil away or pop the whole thing out of its pot - or at the very least, give it a thorough watering till it drains.

I don't know how long it has gone without a thorough watering and I do notice some yellowing leaves - not sure if they were yellow when you got it or not but they are yellow now - which isn't necessarily the result of a lack of watering.

At some point, however, I do believe you will need to exchange the soil for something more appropriate and whilst doing so, the roots will likely need a trim and base can be cleaned off and then re-potted into something larger and let sit for the next year or more. Those will be very stressful times for the tree so expect to coddle over it for a while.

I'm hoping someone will come in and correct me where I'm mistaken because good info is good info and I don't want to pass on bad info, know what I mean? (;

manIK

In the meantime (sorry I realized I didn't answer your questions directly) you can take a soft-bristled toothbrush (new) to the base along with a water sprayer (on mist) and spray away some of the dirt around the base along with some gentle brushing with the toothbrush - see how much of that is actually caked on dirt.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Audrey,

Hello and welcome to the site. The first thing I would like to say is that I have a strong suspicion that your tree is not a Zelkova but a Chinese Elm. There are restrictions on the importation of Certain Ulmus species which are sometimes circumvented by deliberately misidentifying them as Zelkova. The two species are related and their appearance is similar with the biggest difference being leaf size. Zelkova has a much larger leaf than Chinese Elm. Here is a comparison that may help to clarify your situation.

[url=https://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zelelmzz6.jpg][img]https://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2258/zelelmzz6.th.jpg[/img][/url]

The image on the left is Zelkova serrata or 'Japanese Grey Bark Elm'. The image on the right is Ulmus parvifolia or 'Chinese Elm'. Note the much larger leaf size and the zig-zag habit associated with the Zelkova. Also, Chinese Elms are much more common as mass produced bonsai. Their culture can be similar with the biggest difference being that Chinese Elms can tolerate being kept inside over the winter while Zelkova, being a more temperate species, requires a dormant period.

These trees are often imported and are potted in the original field soil. So getting it out of the old, compacted, poorly draining soil will be pretty high on your list of things to do. Before we get into specifics of when to re-pot I must ask what are your plans for this tree in regards to placement, inside or outside? These trees are a bit unusual in that they can be allowed to go dormant as you would any local deciduous tree or managed as a tropical, although 'sub-tropical' is a more accurate description.

Bonsai is traditionally an outdoor activity and although there are many species suited to indoor culture (with the proper attention to detail) both Elm and Zelkova will do better outside. In the case of the Zelkova it is all but a necessity, with the Chinese Elm there is a little more leeway.

Chinese Elms can be grown inside if their needs are met, with many indoor growers keeping them outside for large parts of the year. This is how I suggest you manage yours, outside. If that is not possible Chinese Elms are more forgiving than most broadleaved trees. Some growers do a split environment, meaning outside during summer and inside over winter. How you intend to manage it has more than a little bearing on when the next opportunity to re-pot will be.

While you ponder all of this please take the time to read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]this[/url] for some tips on general care.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”