Heidi77
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm - Problem

I have got a Chinese Elm which I have had for about 2 weeks and I'm having problems with it because it has started to grow some sort of fungus on the tree trunk and the leaves have started to go brown and fall off but I don't now what to do. I am worried that it is dying on me and I need some help because it is the first time that I have ever had a bonsai tree. I have got two lots of different fed one is liquid and the other is crystals and and don't now which one to us. It is left indoors and I am using tap water but tepid. I bath it in a bowl up to the rim of the pot is this correct because that is the only way I can water it? Please help!!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Heidi,

Hello and welcome. I don't usually water by the immersion technique but more worrisome than how you are watering is how often. I'm guessing that the tree is potted in a medium that resembles conventional potting mix. This type of medium holds water longer than a bonsai mix which is very open and drains immediately. Your tree will need to be re-potted in order to ensure its long term health.

For now though concentrate on proper watering and placement. Indoors, a bright location is required or lacking that some form of supplemental lighting. Read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]this[/url] for some tips on proper watering. Very quickly, let it dry out more before watering it again. If you have fertilized it recently don't worry about it until you see some signs of recovery. If you have not yet fertilized it you can, just make sure to follow the proper rates on the packaging.

For future reference you can also have a look at the other threads [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=36]here.[/url] The one on potting and soils should give yo some idea of what a proper bonsai medium generally consists of.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Also try a fungicide.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”