Melody
Newly Registered

Totally overwhelmed, suggestions welcomed!

Hi, New here and as new to Bonsai,

I have been browsing this very informative site since I rushed out where angels fear to tread (Supermarket) and came back with 7 Bonsai trees :oops: I was going to get two, but got a bit carried away (They were very cheap) :roll: Thanks to this forum I am 99% sure I have identified the 5 different species, and then my brain goes into overload (It doesn't take much) as to the best way to care for them and where to place them, as it's not as easy as I thought by sticking them all on the North facing kitchen windowsill as they appear to have different preferences. They wouldn't all fit on it anyway. Two of the trees after a mere 36 hours in my possession are looking quite sick, leaves yellowing and dropping off with speed! They are Zelkova, The other trees, 2 x Fukian Tea, 1 x Sagaretia Theezons, 1 x Cotoneaster and 1 x Ligustrum. are looking OK at the moment.

I would really appreciate it if someone could give some guidance on where to place each species to encourage them to thrive while I learn more about them. Keeping them alive is my optimum aim at the moment. I have North facing windows, South facing windows, an unheated greenhouse, a sheltered open North facing porch. I'm happy to put them out, bring them in, whatever it takes, If only I knew where and when. :cry:

I am quite prepared to get heating in the greenhouse, it has no shade and that can be rectified in time. with a bit of whitewash or screening, (I don't have a clue!) Hubby would like me to move my little trees into the greenhouse permanently :shock:

Well, if you're still with me and haven't dozed off or got too bored, thank you for reading. My trees are looking forward to some advice, as am I.

Melody,

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The Fukian Tea and Sagaretia can both be grown indoors in bright but indirect sun. The others should be placed outside in bright light.

Melody
Newly Registered

Thank you for your quick and very helpful reply, It's much appreciated, and will get it done right away!

Thanks again,
Melody, :D

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

You're welcome, and welcome to the forum!

JTred
Green Thumb

If they were bought in a supermarket I'm going to guess that they are potted in a peat soil. If that is the case, you should know that this isn't exactly the ideal bonsai potting mix. It's not something I would do right away, as it seems some of your trees are already stressed, but they would probably be better off in a less organic, more freely draining mix. Maybe wait until early winter when growth has slowed. If they already are in a good mix, then no worries, just do what bonsaiboy said. Oh yeah, welcome to the forums!

Melody
Newly Registered

Hi JTred,

You are either psychic or telepathic :shock: I've been trying to access this forum since last night and only got a 404 error, I wanted to ask advice about the soil they are planted in! They are in organic soil, it's quite crumbly peat based type and mixed with a sort of very fine grit, which reminds me of crushed glass and something like coconut hairs. On some of the trees it's heaped up like a little mountain around the trunks. water runs off rather than gets absorbed, and around the trunks is very damp and mossy, I attempted to gently move some away and there appear to be fine roots growing in it or it's adhering to the trunks for some reason, The worst ones are the Sageretia and one of the Fukien Tea's. I did wonder if the soil was piled up like that on purpose to encourage higher roots as I've read something along those lines via a link here. I am concerned about the Sageretia as I can't get water to seep through and drain out of the drainage holes. I need to do something to rectify that but really don't know what will be the best option. :?

One of the Zelkova has some kind of bugs living in it's soil, it reminds me of, well, I'm not quite sure, similar to a very pale brown tiny spider, I can't find any now of course. A little larger than a pin head. I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been feeling the soil consistency and attempting to examine it. I was going to attempt to re-pot it and burn the removed soil to kill whatever it was but I don't have any wire, and very uncertain what sizes to get, I know there will be somewhere on here that will tell me and I hope to find it so I can order some pronto. So I have everything on hand for when I can re-pot them.

I also wanted to mention (cor! don't I go on :oops: ) That since putting the Zelkova's outside they are looking lovely, lots of tiny new leaf buds appearing. Even the one with the bugs :D

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Most of this can be cured by repotting into good bonsai soil. I believe the bugs you see are a kind of mite.

Melody
Newly Registered

bonsaiboy wrote:Most of this can be cured by repotting into good bonsai soil. I believe the bugs you see are a kind of mite.
It's what I'm going to have to do isn't it, very carefully and quite soon rather than wait until spring,

Thanks.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”