Gedarian
Newly Registered

Glue Rock

I have heard a lot about this glue rock and I've been wondering if someone could give me a description of it. I recently purchase a small juniper bonsai and have been reading up quite a bit on bonsai. I would like to seriously pursue it but I'm not sure if this tree has been potted in what everyone calls glue rock. It looks like a volcanic chunk or rock and has a pit at the top where the tree is planted in.

If it is the dreaded glue rock should I repot it right away? It looks very health and is green all around and shows signs of good growth, so I am hopeful. Any help is much appreciated.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Planting in the lava rock is not the same as the dreaded glue rock at all. What we are talking about there is when a grower, in an effort to make the plant easier to ship, glues a bunch of decorative peastone to the soil surface to hold everything together. Most people who buy those trees are novices and unaware that the glue also excludes water and gas exchange so the plant is very hard to take care of.

Your plant in the rock doesn't fit that category. However I've yet to see one of these rock plantings that allows much room for root establishment, so be aware that you will have a true minature bonsai, and that means lots more care and watering as there is little soil to hold water or nutrients. These rocks are a good candidate for immersion watering; dump the whole thing in a bucket andf take it out when the bubbles stop (helps keep the moisture content higher...)

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”