japanpsyhic
Cool Member

Moss/Bugs!!!! Help!!!

Okay. My moss on my bonsai has turned this ugly brown, and I see an occasional small fly or two. What does this mean? I keep it on my desk near a window. It gets bright afternoon, and evening light.
It is a Fukien Tea, and is still alive!!!! { :D Yipeee! :D } But, I want the flys to go, and to maybe to revive my moss. Can I? If not, what type of moss do you suggest for a Fukien Tea, that needs/has some humidity????
Then, what do I do to get rid of the gnats???

Please Help!!!!! :cry:

arboricola

japan;

Set a shallow dish of sugar water close to the plant. I use Port wine. The gnats die happy. And do watch your watering. Damp, not wet, is best..

Phil...

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

Thanx. I only keep it damp. Thanx again. :)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Unfortunatly, as stated in other threads here, growing moss on indoor bonsai is difficult. There are a few species of tropical mosses that can be used, but it is probably much easier to grow a small ground cover in the pot instead.

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but, what IS a ground cover? And what type would you suggest that is best for a Fukien Tea, and easiest to get?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Ground cover is a term used for plants that grow along the ground without ever getting tall. Tropical moss, babies tears, and a dwarf type of Ficus repens might work.

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

Thank you SOOO much bonsaiboy!!! This is helping me a TON!!!!
Thanks again!!! :D 8)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”