constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

shelter

I keep most of my hardy deciduous trees inside my garage during the winter for protection but I'm running out of room. Is there any other way of protecting them during the winter? Thanks for the help.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sunpits are traditional and I have seen nice display benches that you could drop a cover over that would work. Had a friend who once banged a hole in the wall of his basement and poured a (w)hole :roll: new section to his foundation just for keeping trees (This is in no shape, way or form condoning or supporting such an act. Dude was a little loose :P Sandwich short of a picnic, knowwhatImean :?: :lol:

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Ha ha! Yep, I know what you mean.

Hey Constant, another option is to get some 2x4's and staple some plastic to them, you can lay it right against your house and put the trees under it. I had a neighbour who has two of these things and his trees do just fine.

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

Thanks for the help. Ive seen someone make a pit with mulch inside and they just covered the pot eith the mulch I'm guessing thats a sun pit. I like the plastic idea I may try a combination of both. Thanks again for the help. :)
Tom

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are more than welcome. Feel free to post any question, or comments.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The combo idea is what I call a sunpit; it does work...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”