manIK

Moss

I cut up some moss growing in the yard and placed it around the base of my ficus - covering the topsoil completely. It looked great! For about 2 months ): then slowly died. That was last year.

Now it's just a carpet of orange dead moss and I'm wondering what you all use for moss that won't die, stay green and survive with such little watering...?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Regular moss will rarely survive transplanting, and will almost certainly die indoors. I would use a different ground cover, like a creeping fig or babies tears for a ficus, or some other small creeping tropical plant.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

If you want mosses indoors, I've found that it's better to grow them from "moss spore" packets or, better yet, do your shopping at a reptile/amphibian specialty shop or show. These places will often have truly tropical mosses that can tolerate varying humidities, depending on species.

manIK

Good to know, thanks kdodds (:

manIK

Any ideas on names? I want moss around the base of my Ficus Ginseng - It's indoors, on a window sill and get direct sun from sunrise till about 11'ish.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Pfft... I dunno. I buy packets of moss spores, which go by different names, usually Japanese localities. I know there are species of Selaginella that do well, but they've a bit larger structure than you might like to see in a 12" or so tree.

UglyGeezer

Has anyone aver tries brushing a light live yoghurt solution over the soil?

I cam't vouch for it as I have never tried it. But I'm told the bacteria help moss naturally get a hold. Works in theory for me.

snowblind
Cool Member

yup it works :D

UglyGeezer

Nice one!
How do you go about it?
Do you water the live yoghurt down or just brush it on 'neat'
Will give it a go on a hardy Chinese Elm :)

manIK

And that really only work for outdoors, yes?

kdodds, my ficus pot is only 6x3inches.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Tropical Pillow Moss (Dicranum species) is a species of moss commonly for sale you could try, although it may need high humidity.

manIK

Bummer - High hummidity isn't going to work as my office needs AC because of three fulltime computers and 5 monitors.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

You might be better off asking for specific species on a reptile/amphibian forum, particularly forums that deal with terrariums/dart frogs. My first try would be the "moss spore" route. At like $2/packet, you can't go wrong, even if it doesn't work for you. It can take a few weeks to notice anything, though.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Kyoto moss is another moss I've heard can take tropical type conditions, but I haven't tried it before. It may also need high humidity.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

That's one of the ones I've been using successfully, though I do not know if it's an actual species.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”