arboricola

Dokuja;

You can look at some lighting options here.

https://homeharvest.com/

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dokuja,

The CFLs available at your local hardware are a direct replacement for conventional incandescent bulbs, just screw it into the socket. Use two if you can manage it. It would be better to mount them horizontally rather than vertically and some sort of reflector, even if homemade, can only help.

Norm

Dokuja

Hmm, I see. But for the CFL's from the hardware store (like Home Depot), how do I know if it will be good for a plant to grow with? Doesn't it have to be full daylight spectrum, with a certain heat in Kelvin to be effective? Also, are there any drawbacks to using my incandescent light? I have been using it for 10 hours a day for the past 3-4 days or so and the plant seems to be doing well. Its leaves aren't as dark, and less and less are being shed. They seem to be a lighter green, similar to those from new growth shoots. The darker green leaves seem to be the ones that have been turning yellow though, and then falling off. I also use a moisture meter to make sure that I water my tree properly, and so far, it has not been drying out from the incandescent light (which is approx. 2 feet away from it pointing at an angle overhead)...I dunno, what are your guys' thoughts? ^_^

Dokuja

hey guys,

I don't mean to be a pain, but I really want to know how to take care of my bonsai in the best way possible. For this reason, does anyone have any idea of what I should do regarding my previous question? Also, basically, I don't have unlimited funds, and since I already bought this Agrosun incandescent grow lamp, I was wondering what I would have to do in order to make it so that I could use it as a sufficient substitute for a CFL grow light. IE, how many hours a day to have it on, how far away to have it from my tree, etc. At the moment, it is on for 10 hours a day and it is nearly 2 feet away from my tree. Thanks so much for your help guys, I really appreciate it!!!

--Dokuja

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Dokuja,

Conventional incandescent bulbs (meaning other than HID) are not ideal in that they need to be so far away, due to heat, that light energy available to the plant drops off dramatically. Can you use it, sure is it ideal, no.

Fluorescents are a little better and there are high output fluorescents that are better yet. HID provides even more energy and, while expensive up front, they are actually more efficient at converting electricity to light energy. I suppose it all depends how much you want to spend, you pay your money and take what you get.

If you really want to use what you already have that is your call, just keep it far enough away so you don't cook your plants and be aware of possible weak growth. Perhaps you can upgrade later.

When my lights are running (winter only, for tropicals only) I keep them on 16 Hrs and off 8 Hrs.

Norm

Zofiava

I bought a CFL grow light at either lowes or home depot. It's just like a regular CFL that you can use interchangeably with any light that takes regular bulbs. It just so happens to be a special grow light CFL. I just stuck it in my desk lamp, and aimed it at my plants. SO they DO make CFL lights that are specificially Grow Lights.

Dokuja

Ahh, I see, Thanks for the update! So, you guys don't think putting a high powered CFL grow light in an incandescent light fixture would cause any problems? IE, a fire hazard???

Zofiava

I don't think there are and specifically incandescent fixtures...someone correct me if I am wrong. I think CFLs can go in any socket that fits them.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”