JTred
Green Thumb

Thinking of changing my bonsai mix - adding kitty litter

Right now my bonsai mix isn't much of a mix, its almost all wood chips. However, I have some small maples that I think could use something a little less coarse. What I had in mind was kitty litter. I've been keeping an eye on a small baggie in my driveway full of kitty litter. So far it has held up to multiple rainstorms and is still in small pieces. It's the cheap, non-clumping kind (Special Kitty maybe? I'll check tomorrow). So I was thinking, would this make a good addition to my mix for my smaller trees?

P.S. some of the pieces are green, I'm not sure if they're coated in a deodorant or if its some kind of chemical. does anyone know what they might be?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JTred,

I'm not well versed in the particulars of Kitty litter but a few things you have written make me wonder about your product of choice. What makes a litter not clump, some additive or chemical? The green particles also may a reason to reject this product. Perfumes or deodorant are not really something I would want in my soil mix but Harry Harrington notes that perfumed litter is not a problem and it dissipates after a while. I have not been able to locate a Kitty litter that works for me, but I've only tried a few.

I understand the difficulty in locating appropriate potting materials. You may have already seen this but just in case.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

Other choices are Turface, Haydite, Lava Rock, Diatomaceous Earth, coarse pool filter sand, Chicken Grit (not Oyster shell though), Decomposed Granite.

Norm

JTred
Green Thumb

Gnome wrote:JTred,

I'm not well versed in the particulars of Kitty litter but a few things you have written make me wonder about your product of choice. What makes a litter not clump, some additive or chemical? The green particles also may a reason to reject this product. Perfumes or deodorant are not really something I would want in my soil mix but Harry Harrington notes that perfumed litter is not a problem and it dissipates after a while. I have not been able to locate a Kitty litter that works for me, but I've only tried a few.

I understand the difficulty in locating appropriate potting materials. You may have already seen this but just in case.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm

Other choices are Turface, Haydite, Lava Rock, Diatomaceous Earth, coarse pool filter sand, Chicken Grit (not Oyster shell though), Decomposed Granite.

Norm
Thanks for the response, to answer your question, I think it doesn't clump because it is just cheap. Not really a special feature, actually a lack of one. I'll have to check the bag and see if it says exactly what it contains. Maybe I'll try it on one of the small maples that I don't really care much for yet.

Haesuse

litter, if you just get the kind that has just one ingredient (diatomaceous earth) is perfect as a substrate/soil. I've used it in planted aquariums for years, and it grows magnificent plants. I've never used it outside of an aquatic arena, but, it should work fine for plants that aren't too sensitive to wet feet, or in any spot where you need to add clay to the soil, or need extra water retention.

forget that it's litter. it's not. if it is only diatomaceous clay, then it is only diatomaceous clay. use it as such.

manIK

JTred wrote: Thanks for the response, to answer your question, I think it doesn't clump because it is just cheap. Not really a special feature, actually a lack of one. I'll have to check the bag and see if it says exactly what it contains. Maybe I'll try it on one of the small maples that I don't really care much for yet.
If you're unsure, take some of that litter and put it in a bowl or cup of water. You'll notice right away if its turns soft and mushy (bad).

Otherwise leave it for a day and if after that, it still remains loose (individual particles) then that's a good sign albeit not the only qualifier to use it.

Also it would probably help to wash out any liter you do intend to use, first, before adding it to your mix. To aid in removing any factory dirt and grit and grunge.

I wanted to try the kitty litter thing and bought the cheap stuff, like $2 a bag. I put some on a plate and added water and it pretty much turned to mush. Luckily, I have a cat, so it got used anyways (;

JTred
Green Thumb

Just thought I'd update. I left the kitty litter outside in a cup of water, let it dry, added water, let it dry etc. Then I rinsed it out with a hose and this is what came out. It no longer has any fragrance, and it doesn't clump at all. It's holds moisture pretty well, and 'm going to try it out on one of my smaller maples. The brand was special kitty. The total process included screening out as much of the small stuff as I could, soaking it for a week (probably overnight would have sufficed), then rinsed off the remaining dust by putting it all in the pot shown and spraying it with the shower attachment on the hose.

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/JTsoccer59/KittyLitter002.jpg[/img]
[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/JTsoccer59/KittyLitter001.jpg[/img]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”