sean117Ply
Cool Member

Bonsai coming out of dormancy too soon!

A couple of my bonsais have started coming out of dormancy in the first month of winter. Do I do anything about it? Is there anything I can do about?

Is this going to have any adverse effects on my bonsai? It's never happened before.

One is a European Ash and this other is a Chinese Elm and by the looks of it one of my JM's could also be coming out of dormancy.

It has been unseasonably warm it even made it to 19c/66fh eek

But the cold weather is returning :roll:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Chinese Elm (from what I've heard) are subtropical trees that can either experience a dormant season like temperate trees or go through no period of cooler weather. Because of this odd adaptation, I think that the Elm will be fine. I also think that the other trees will be okay as well, with maybe a little disorientation.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

sean117Ply,

How far along are they? If you are seeing some swelling of buds but they are still tight and unopened you should be OK.

As bonsaiboy mentioned the Chinese Elm is a little unusual. I have noted that mine are reluctant to fully drop their leaves, retaining some throughout the entire winter. I too think it will be fine.

You say the Maple could be breaking dormancy so I infer that you are seeing only minor swelling of buds. Once cold weather returns that should abate.

That leaves only the Ash to be concerned about. While I do own Chinese Elms and Maples I do not own an Ash so I'm not really sure what to say about that one.

One final thought, I wonder how you are storing them. If they are sheltered now perhaps you brought them inside too early. I leave all (excluding tender species) my trees exposed until around the first of December, June for you. Some then remain outside and some go into an unheated garage.

Norm

sean117Ply
Cool Member

Gnome wrote:sean117Ply,

How far along are they? If you are seeing some swelling of buds but they are still tight and unopened you should be OK.

As bonsaiboy mentioned the Chinese Elm is a little unusual. I have noted that mine are reluctant to fully drop their leaves, retaining some throughout the entire winter. I too think it will be fine.

You say the Maple could be breaking dormancy so I infer that you are seeing only minor swelling of buds. Once cold weather returns that should abate.

That leaves only the Ash to be concerned about. While I do own Chinese Elms and Maples I do not own an Ash so I'm not really sure what to say about that one.

One final thought, I wonder how you are storing them. If they are sheltered now perhaps you brought them inside too early. I leave all (excluding tender species) my trees exposed until around the first of December, June for you. Some then remain outside and some go into an unheated garage.

Norm
I have done something rather drastic, I have cut off the breaking buds on my JM's :oops: I'm not sure if I have done something stupid..

With the Ash I wasn't sure what to do but it's in full on leafing mode. That's good news about the Chinese Elm though.

I live in a temperate area so don't usually give them any shelter. Day time temp is usually around 5c to 11c (41fh to 52fh) and the nights -2c to 4c (28fh to 39fh) But when cold fronts come through it can be freezing sometimes a few flurries.

So what temperature should I protect the leafing trees? And there might be a few vigorous cold fronts in coming weeks.

I will post pictures of the culprate to give you a better idea of what's going on.

snowblind
Cool Member

hello :D

as for the elm don't worrie about it comeing out 2early thay r hardy little buggers and I wont hurt it at all if it gets really cold again it will just go back to sleep as for the other tree I'm not sure at all sorry about that hun ive never had one of them myself

my elm has never ever fully droped its leaves even wen it was under a foot of snow it still had a lot of leaves on it like a winter coat :P

anyway good luck

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”