Debra
Newly Registered

fukien tea tree bonsai leaves turning brown

Texas HI!

My 30 year old fukien tea tree was a gift 2 years ago. I have had no problems until about a week ago. The leaves are turning brown and are all falling off and my little tree looks sick. I don't know how else to describe it. I water once or twice a week I soak the soil by letting the faucet drip on it. I have well water. I feed it once a month or so. Last week when watering I think I might have over watered. The soil is very damp. Do I re pot or just let it dry out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :roll: One last thing my house keeper might have let overspray of windex hit my tree not sure but trying to think of anything that might have happened.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Debra,

Welcome to the forum. I don't own a Fukien Tea but a few thoughts do come to mind.
Last week when watering I think I might have over watered.
You won't over-water a plant in one act, over-watering is chronic. The term over-watering is somewhat misleading, a better way to express it would be watering too frequently. You could pour a gallon of water through your plant and as long as you allowed it the proper time before watering again all would be fine.
The soil is very damp.
If you have not changed your watering pattern then it sounds like something else is going on. A plant in distress may not transpire as much water as when it was in good health. Whatever started the decline, you may be furthering it by watering too frequently for its current condition.
My 30 year old fukien tea tree was a gift 2 years ago. I have had no problems until about a week ago.
Or, it may be that the problem stems from old collapsed soil, and/or being root-bound.
One last thing my house keeper might have let overspray of windex hit my tree not sure but trying to think of anything that might have happened.
This species seems to be particularly sensitive to various chemicals.

Jerry Meislik notes:
Fukien tea is sensitive to many chemicals including my standard indoor insect dormant oil treatment...Always test spray a single leaf or sacrifice branch and observe it for 7 days.
Lastly, since I am somewhat out of my element, [url=https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/FukienTea.html]here[/url] is the care sheet from which the above excerpt was taken, you should find it useful.

Norm

Debra
Newly Registered

Thank all of you so very much for you imput. Norm the link you sent me to read was the key I think.

I read the article and it mentioned ants being carriers of a possible problem...........I did notice a ant on the trees soil (trees name is baby) lol hmmm so I will treat it with a soap solution.

Thank you again,
I will keep you all posted and any more info from anyone will be greatly appreciated!
Debby[/list]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Debra,
Thank all of you so very much for you imput.
You're welcome.
I read the article and it mentioned ants being carriers of a possible problem...........I did notice a ant on the trees soil
I'm not so sure I would blame a single ant for your problem. Ants are an issue, primarily, because they 'farm' Aphids, whenever I see Ants I always look carefully for them. In case you don't know Aphids are small, soft bodied insects that feed on the plants sap and excrete a substance know as honeydew. Ants, in turn, feed on this and have learned/evolved to encourage and defend the Aphids, which do more harm than the Ants themselves.

Ants will also sometimes try to colonize pots and this is also a problem but since your tree is indoors I doubt that is the case as you would be seeing an endless parade of ants. Regardless, take heed of the caution concerning spraying Fukien Tea.

Norm

Debra
Newly Registered

Thank you for your resposne Norm,

I knew I had to take some kind of action......or the outlook could be bleak. I chose to spray with a soap water solution. I did that today and am leaning toward repotting. I think that since I have had the tree as long as I have ( 2 years) without repotting that may be a issue as well. Something in the link article jumped out at me. That was the soil becomeing inpacted. I think that is a possibility. I am now looking for proper procedures for repotting. I have the proper soil but that is about all of the knowledge I have. I was given the tree because of my "green thumb" yike. This is going to work out!! Thank You very much for all of you help.

P.S. I was also wondering how long the tree normally lives? I was told when it was given to me it was 30. Thanks Norm

IndorBonsai

When re-potting a Fukien Tea remember don't trim the roots unless you Absolutely have to. The Fukien Tea does not like its roots messed with much so be careful, I use a garden hose with a gentile spray to remove the old soil around my Fukien Tea Bonsai roots trying to keep as many feeder roots alive as I can.

If you have to trim a few roots on your Fukien Tea trim very little, then after about 6-12 months you can re-pot it and trim some more. Keep doing this until you have trimmed the roots to your liking. The best advice I can give is be careful with the roots when re-potting your Fukien Tea.

This is a link to pictures of my Fukien Tea Bonsai,
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16064

If you think your Fukien Tea Bonsai might be dieing, or you trimmed to many roots, try planting it into long fiber sphagnum moss. Both my Fukien Tea bonsai are planted in long fiber sphagnum moss and seem to love it.

Here is a link to how to plant a Bonsai into long fiber sphagnum moss, (just in case)
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14972

Debra
Newly Registered

Jason,

How nice of you to take the time to give me so much helpful information. I am takeing this a step at a time. To give all a update I did spray with a soap solution. After checking to see what was out there I decided to mix my on mostlly because the over the counter had chemicals in it. Actually Baby (the tree yes it has a name) is doing a little better I think. The leaves have STOPPED dropping but they still far from healthy. I think I will take a wait and see attitude before re-potting. But when I do I will use the helpful information Jason provided. Thanks again so very much. It is hard to tell if I am out of the woods just yet but I am very hopeful :D THANK YOU ALL AGAIN, and if you have more info please feel free to drop me a note!

Debra

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”