Bizones
Newly Registered

Juniper Bonsai with Yellow and Brown Foilage

As the result of a friend dying, I received a bonsai tree of his. I'm not sure what kind it is. from reading up on the internet I've learned it's most likely some sort of Juniper. Anyway. I was wondering if I could get some help from anyone to keep the little one alive, unlike it's previous owner. It looks like the foliage is sparse and some smaller branches removed. there is some yellowish and brown colors to the foliage as well. Also I will post some pictures as soon as possible. Thank you for your time.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bizones,

By all means, please do post some pictures. Since you've been researching Junipers you have probably realized that this is one of the species that does poorly indoors. So if you could also provide some more information concerning how you have been managing it, that would help.

Is it inside or out, how much sun? What is the soil like, does it stay wet or does it dry quickly? Does it resemble conventional potting soil or is it very gritty and loose?

Norm

Bizones
Newly Registered

I do keep it outside. all the time. I did learn that in my recent research you are correct. The soil stays wet. it seems that it is of a thicker consistency. I don't know how to post pictures on this forum.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bizones,

I see that you posted pictures in another thread and that nobody has replied there yet. For the sake of continuity I will now duplicate those pictures here and remove the redundant thread.

[img]https://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/bizones/DSC03148.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/bizones/DSC03147.jpg[/img]

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bizones,
The soil stays wet. it seems that it is of a thicker consistency.
You would do well to cut back on the frequency, not the quantity, of watering. Junipers don't like to stay constantly wet. Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]here[/url] for some tips on basic care. Give the chopstick/skewer method a try it really helps beginners, especially if their soil is on the heavy side.

Also, look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]here[/url] to begin to get some idea of what a good bonsai medium should be. I keep my juniper in a nearly 100% inorganic mix in order to avoid 'wet feet'. In your climate you could do the same.

You can mange it in the short term by not watering too frequently. Next spring is the best time to re-pot. This gives you ample time to do some research and acquire a decent medium. If anything in the links I provided is not clear please do not hesitate to inquire further.

Norm

Bizones
Newly Registered

Thank you for your time. A few more things I was wondering, if you don't mind. New soil when I repot? How old is it? How big will it get? Should I fertilize?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bizones,
Thank you for your time.
You're welcome.
New soil when I repot?
Yes, new soil, is important. While I can't get a good look at the soil what I can see of it, your description and what I know of these types of mass produced trees, leads me to believe that it is in the typical peat based potting soil. This type of soil is not appropriate for a Juniper. Please read the link I provided above to get some idea of what a proper bonsai medium should be.
How old is it?
I don't know for certain, probably no more than a few years old. These types of trees are mass produced and since time is money, well... besides, in bonsai actual age is not as important as the impression the tree gives to the viewer.
How big will it get?
While Junipers can reach much larger sizes this one won't unless it survives a very long time indeed. Large bonsai are either collected large or grown out to the desired size before they ever go into a bonsai pot. Being in a small container, and the root pruning required to keep it there, greatly restrains growth. It will, of course, grow and if you don't prune it much and pot it up appropriately it will get larger but this will be a slow process. Best to just enjoy it for what it is and use it as a learning tool. Learn to water properly, to fertilize and to re-pot. There is much more but that is a start.
Should I fertilize?
Yes, a potted tree will require regular fertilization. Trees in a proper bonsai medium are fertilized rather often as the fertilizer is easily leached from the pot. This tree, being in heavier soil, should not require fertilization as often, perhaps once a month. There is also the possibility that there is already some timed release fertilizer present so until you re-pot into a medium of your choosing caution would be prudent.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Looks like Norm's got you covered. Agree 100% with the watering. The good news is that those browning spots, they don't look like the tree is dying to me. They look more like normal browning you'll see on inner branches as new shoots grow and, at the tips, where pruning has been done.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”