japanpsyhic
Cool Member

Ancient Trunk Thickening Trick

QUOTE::: Helpful Gardener:::From old Forum:::
"Some other old tricks I have found along the way...ancient Chinese method was to beat the trunks with bamboo canes (seperating the phloem from the cambium layer, causing it to regrow to fit, repeat until caliper etc., etc. ) The modern methodology I have learned was to use bonsai pliers (smooth faced without serration) to grip the trunk and loosen the bark from the wood; same principle, different tool. Careful not to rip or wrinkle the bark unduly and it works fine... "
Does it even work? Is there any other tool I could use to loosen the bark? Would hitting the trunk {not TOO hard} with a small metal rod, or even a wooden dowel work? If not, where would I find the smooth faced pliers? Do they have a certain name I can look around for? :?

Thanks For Any Help, Or Feedback!!! :wink:

Haesuse

bonsai is all about patience. it's not a tiny little part of the art, that you can choose to bypass or ignore entirely. you will be sorely disappointed if, before you even know how to properly care for the trees you have, you are already dislodging their bark, beating them with canes, or any other such method. even if these methods honestly were used or attempted, it was, undoubtedly, by a master tree gardener and/or bonsai master.

either have the patience to grow out the plants you want (as in years, not days, or weeks), or buy bigger ones.

:(

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”