Intriguedbybonsai

Leaf misting

I own a juniper bonsai, a Japanese maple bonsai, and a few other maples not yet in bonsai form. I use a spray bottle to mist the leaves daily(Not in full sunlight though). Is this misting beneficiary to my bonsai?

snowblind
Cool Member

indeed it is I do that with all my trees and I think it keeps them happy and helthy :D so keep it up id say

UglyGeezer

It's how I water mine, I use 2 pump sprayers on each side of the trees. It gives them a lovely shower for 10 minutes, when they need it :)

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Misting is a notoriously bad means of watering, but a very good way to temporarily raise humidity in the immediate area. The watering aspect is so bad because the moisture tends to wet only the top, visible, layer of the soil, leading to a belief that the plant's roots are receiving moisture when, in fact, the exact opposite is likely to be true if this is the only means of watering. Although, 10 minutes of hand pumping will deliver a LOT of water. If you've one tree, you might find that is an option for you, but if you've a dozen or more... well, better than two hours of constant hand pump misting would be more than just a time consumer, it could well be damaging to your health.

snowblind
Cool Member

id would not advise just misting your trees ofc watering them propley aswell has to be done but misting them aswell is a verry good idear

Intriguedbybonsai

kdodds wrote:Misting is a notoriously bad means of watering, but a very good way to temporarily raise humidity in the immediate area. The watering aspect is so bad because the moisture tends to wet only the top, visible, layer of the soil, leading to a belief that the plant's roots are receiving moisture when, in fact, the exact opposite is likely to be true if this is the only means of watering. Although, 10 minutes of hand pumping will deliver a LOT of water. If you've one tree, you might find that is an option for you, but if you've a dozen or more... well, better than two hours of constant hand pump misting would be more than just a time consumer, it could well be damaging to your health.
I do not mist to water the entire tree. My actual watering is done with a watering can, and making sure the soil is moistened all the way to the roots. And I check this by simply inserting my finger,(or as with my Juniper, a toothpick is used) down into the soil to check for moisture. What I was referring to was the leafy parts of the plant. Giving the leaves, and new growth a good saturation with a spray bottle.

snowblind
Cool Member

thats tottaly fine just do it ive done it with mine and if you look at the pics on here of my junipers you can se misting does no harm at all infact id say it helps :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”