The Rookie

To repot or not to repot?

That is the Question.

I apologize for the long-winded message in advance. I had a post many weeks ago about twig blight. This is the thread:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14735

I have about 8 bonsai trees in my collection. I bought a procumbens juniper and a shimpaku juniper for my 3 & 7 year old sons. My 7 year old's shimpaku is doing great. My 3 year old's procumben juniper is the victim in the thread above. It died of twig blight after repotting.

Anyways, I just bought a replacement procumben juniper for my 3 year old. My 7 year old's tree is doing great & he thinks it is really cool. As a result, my 3 year old is always asking where his tree is.

I live in Kansas City which is a Zone 6 climate. It's been hot & humid lately with temperatures in the 90's and a heat index in the 100's.

I've read in a few places that I can repot as late as July. I don't want to kill the 3 year old's tree again, but the starter pot it is in seems root bound & I don't know if I should let it go through the winter (assuming it survives that long :-) in a starter pot.

Am I insane for repotting this late? Would you do it? Does anyone have any advice about repotting in the summer . . . I.e. do I have to take different precautions than I do for a repot in the spring?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jason

bewildered_nmsu

I once tried to collect a j. procumbens from some landscaping in July and ended up with fire wood, but I live in southern New Mexico where it is extremely hot and dry. Junipers don't really mind being pot bound to some extent, so I would advise patience. Unless you are just going to slip pot it into a bigger pot just wait till next spring.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”