Ceretrea

Soil

This is the Bonsai compost I have readily available to me [url]https://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10288060&fh_view_size=150&fh_start_index=50&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=bonsai&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1245930946321&isSearch=true[/url]

Is this okay to use? What do you guys use for your Bonsai?

IndorBonsai

That soil will probably be fine, but if you want to make it better take a window screen or flower sift and screen out all the small particles. This will leave the bigger particles and help your soil drain better. :)

Here is a soil I mixed up for my big outdoor Bonsai trees.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15040

Even tho I buy store bought bonsai mix. I still sift out all the small particles before I use it.

Hope this helps :)

Ceretrea

Thank you very much :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ceretrea,

Can you give us a little more information? It would be relevant to note what species you are intending to pot in this mixture and what environment they will grown under.

In the meantime [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]here[/url] is a thread that will give you some more information.

Norm

Ceretrea

It is a general question rather than species specific. Most of the species I am looking at are broadleaf outdoor. In my intro post I listed the ones I wanted to try, all are native to my home (UK).

Thank you for the link.

Ceretrea

Bearing in mind that I will be going for deciduous species such as Oak, Birch, Hazel etc would the cat litter used as inorganic soil be used on its own or mixed with organic soil?

Also, what do you use for growing on using the escape method?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ceretrea,

Soil composition will vary widely depending upon various factors. Two of the most important are species and your climate. Keeping these in mind I would not recommend the soil you linked to. While it might be OK for tropical species which will spend some time indoors or for an individual growing in an arid environment I get the impression that it will retain too much moisture for your stated specifics. I admit it is hard to say for certain the exact nature of this medium without knowing percentages but the picture in the label suggests a fairly heavy/dense medium. This in particular is a 'red flag'; "Contains wetting agent for easier watering".
would the cat litter used as inorganic soil be used on its own or mixed with organic soil?
This touches on two different questions, one stated and one implied. The latter first, no I would probably not use an inorganic medium 'neat' or alone for deciduous species. A certain percentage of organic material is generally included for deciduous trees. Please note that not all organics are of equal quality. Finely textured peat is generally avoided for bonsai, instead look for bark or other components that have some structure or particle size. Small particles, regardless of whether they are organic or inorganic, tend impede drainage.

The other question that I mentioned above is the suitability of any specific brand of litter. I have yet to find anything in the States that is appropriates for bonsai. Apparently the situation is different in the UK where you have different brands available. I would strongly suggest that you perform a test upon whatever brand you are considering. Place a sample of the material in water for a few weeks and note whether or not it maintains its structural integrity or turns to mush. If you intend to use this material next spring you have time for long term tests. By that I also include freezing wet samples and observing them through several freeze/thaw cycles.
Also, what do you use for growing on using the escape method?
I currently have only one plant that is undergoing this procedure. I potted it in my usual mix but cut large holes in the bottom and lower sides of the container. It has now been undisturbed for several years, and I intend to leave it undisturbed for several more. It is important that you still water routinely through the potted medium so that the roots contained in the pot are not entirely abandoned.

Norm

Ceretrea

I will test the litter as you say, I have high hopes as the specific brand was included in the last set of links you gave me.

When you say you potted in your usual mix for the escape method, what would that be? A Bonsai mix or normal garden compost?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ceretrea,
I will test the litter as you say, I have high hopes as the specific brand was included in the last set of links you gave me.
I would tend to agree. Harry Harrington is well known to be knowledgeable. Still, formulations can change and I would hate for you to make a blunder based on my recommendation, even second hand. You won't be sorry you tested it.
When you say you potted in your usual mix for the escape method, what would that be? A Bonsai mix or normal garden compost?
In this case I meant my usual bonsai mix. Largely, but not completely, inorganic with the fines sifted out.

Norm

P.S. I'm glad to see that you are following up on the links provided. There is much to learn and it simply cannot all be repeated here.

Norm

Ceretrea

Norm,

Your links are very informative and I enjoy reading them. There is more to be learned here than in any book.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”