DICKO
Newly Registered

New Chinese Elm Disaster - Please Help!!

I've just been given my first bonsai as a present however had had an initial disaster. Basically my girlfriend giftwrapped the bonsai in a bag and left it in a very hot room for 5 days with no water / attention etc. I opened the bag yesterday evening to find a lot of brown, or green but very dry, leaves. I submerged the pot in water for about an hour to let it soak up what it needed and have placed it in a cooler but nice and light room. Over the last 24 hours however pretty much all of the remaining leaves have fallen off. Has it died or do I have a chance to get it back to good health; and if so what should I do? The tree is a Chinese Elm - Please help.

Gnome
Mod

DICKO,

Don't panic and do anything drastic like re-pot it or throw it out, there is an excellent chance it will recover. Now that you have re-hydrated it just leave it alone basically. Don't drench it every day and above all don't allow it to dry out again. Read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]this[/url] for tips on watering bonsai. The chopstick/skewer method is pretty useful while you are getting used to watering and I do recommend that you try it.

Chinese Elms are tough customers and within a few weeks, possibly sooner, you should see new buds emerging from the locations of the previous leaf stems. Be aware that a tree with no leaves will not lose much water by transpiration and since it is in a cool location, loss from evaporation will be lessened as well. Just water as required using the guidelines posted above and keep your fingers crossed.

Make sure to stop back and tell us how things go for your tree, good luck.

Norm

DICKO
Newly Registered

Thank you very much.

Thats great news. I will try my hardest to get it back on its feet and drop you a before and after shot should things be succesful.

All the best

Dicko

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”