AmyO
Newly Registered

Needing help with my 65 yr old Bonsai

I have a 65 yr old Juniper Bonsai I purchased 5 months ago. It was doing really well up until last month. The top of it the leaves are turning a really light yellow. The rest of the bonsai is green and looks alive. Past few days I have been putting it outside with a mister on it a few hours a day. I do have a bottle of plant food in the roots. I do live in AZ, so I don’t keep it outside but just a few hours. I can send pictures of it. If it helps. Hopefully someone can help.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I would think that a 65 year old bonsai is very expensive. You may want to consult an expert and get the tree stablized very quickly so as to protect both the tree and your investment. Save the trial and error approach for young, inexpensive trees.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

alisios

Re: Needing help with my 65 yr old Bonsai

AmyO wrote: Past few days I have been putting it outside with a mister on it a few hours a day. I do live in AZ, so I don’t keep it outside but just a few hours.
This quote from you leads me to believe that you are keeping your tree inside most of the time? If so, this will spell doom for your Juniper.

Even in AZ, your tree needs to be outside. Protect it from super warm temps and from the side of a house that gets hot. This is an outdoor plant.

check out more info from
[url]https://www.phoenixbonsai.com[/url]

and also you might want to check out Baker nursery in Phx. They have bonsai and will be able to help you grow them successfully in our arid enviornment. They keep their tree under shade cloth all year round.

IndorBonsai

Morning sun, and shade during the hottest part of the day. Outdoors is the only way to keep your juniper alive and happy.

Misting your leafs/foliage is ok but if you do it to much It could lead to moldy conditions for your tree. Mist it in the morning and let it dry out during the day. If you think it needs it, mist it before going to bed at night, this is kinda like morning dew settling on the foliage.

It sounds like your juniper is Not getting enough sun light, this turns the inner and lower branches yellow and they will die. The juniper can handle the heat of the day if you keep it in a area that gets morning sun and shade during the hottest part of the day, check the soil about a hour after the tree is in the shade, then Water if needed.
If your going to have art in your house why not make it living art. :D

Jason

snowblind
Cool Member

junipers r lovely little trees but the thay need the outside

juniper inside = death no matter the growing lights or how many times you put it out in the sun its not gonna be a happy tree it may hang on for a wile due to its ages and will to live but inside it will die . so get the little one out in the sun :D
sparkels

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”