IndorBonsai

My Brazilian Rain Tree, What to do?

So my Brazilian Rain Tree has been sulking for over a month now. It only opens its leaves early in the morning. It dosent seem to like living in a pure inorganic soil (sifted sand and lava rock, all large particle).

[url=https://img20.imageshack.us/I/bztree1.jpg/][img]https://img20.imageshack.us/img20/6049/bztree1.jpg[/img][/url]

What do I do with my Bonsai when I have trouble making them happy?
I put/plant them into long fiber Sphagnum Moss.

I am thinking I will have to re-pot my Brazilian Rain Tree into sphagnum moss. This tree has been more work than my Serissas have been, I planted both my serissas into sphagnum moss and they have been easy care since.
I bet moving this tree into sphagnum moss will cure it from whatever it's problem is.

I will keep you posted, Let me know what your thoughts might be about my tree.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jason,

As you probably have gathered by now I concentrate primarily on temperate species. I have never owned this species.
It dosent seem to like living in a pure inorganic soil (sifted sand and lava rock, all large particle).
Since you say the particle size is large perhaps you are not watering it frequently enough.
I bet moving this tree into sphagnum moss will cure it from whatever it's problem is.
Rather than use 100% inorganic or 100% Moss why not use a blend? The only trees I use straight inorganics with are Pine and Juniper.

Make sure to keep us posted, whatever you decide.

Norm

IndorBonsai

Thanks Norm,

Yesterday the leafs stayed open all day long, It was a cloudy/ overcast day and topped out at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. I am thinking maybe it doesn't like the sun, and prefers a shady location. Before I re-pot it I think I will try placing it in a new shady area and see how it does.

I will keep you all updated on this because I know that information on the Brazilian Rain Tree is hard to find and not very useful. Any information that is from first hand experience is the best. So I will use my tree to help get some useful information out there about how to care for a Brazilian Rain Tree :)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

If the tree was recently repotted or had its roots pruned, or moved into brighter light from a darker area, the leafs may lose more water then they are able to gain, thus causing them to close.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaiboy wrote:If the tree was recently repotted or had its roots pruned, or moved into brighter light from a darker area, the leafs may lose more water then they are able to gain, thus causing them to close.
Excellent observation, sorry I missed it. :oops:

Norm

IndorBonsai

On Wednesday June 17 2009 I re-potted the tree into long fiber sphagnum moss. Look at it now :) When I re-potted it, the roots looked good, no root rot, but barely any new growth.
[url=https://img194.imageshack.us/I/bz12.jpg/][img]https://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6529/bz12.jpg[/img][/url]

It seems very happy now. If you have trouble with your Brazilian Rain Tree you might want to try re-potting it into long fiber sphagnum moss.

Also I found that my tree does better placed in a area that gets morning sun and shade/filtered sun for the rest of the day. From the reading I have done on these trees, they say that the trees like full sun, but mine does not like full sun.
Last edited by IndorBonsai on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jason,

I'm glad to hear that your tree is coming around, it has responded nicely.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”