allears22
Newly Registered

Starting Out with Bonsai

I am new and I am sure you have had these questions a hundred times. Feel free to direct me to other posts.

I have tried Bonsai once before with not much luck, but I was in college and moving a lot. I have decided to retry again, and was hoping you could help. I have read/checked out many books and been exploring the internet to get started. I think I am leaning to two trees: one for inside and one for outside.

I know the ficus is recommended but I am not really a fan. So I am lost on what to do for an inside tree.

I have read Chinese Elms are a good place to start as well. I do like the looks of them and was wondering is it better to keep them outside, though I have heard they can be indoor as well.

For an outdoor plant, do you ever bring them in during the winter when it gets too cold outside. Sometimes it can get to -20 here, though not often. Should I bring them into a cool garage during this periods and then return them outside. I guess advice for winter care?

Also any ideas of where of good bonsai nurseries. I have tried to look for local ones but have not found any in my area. Also good places to buy supplies.

Thank you so much.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

allears22,

Welcome to the forum.
I have read Chinese Elms are a good place to start as well. I do like the looks of them and was wondering is it better to keep them outside,
I have a strong preference to keep all trees outside. This is of course dependent upon the species in question and the season. There really is no such thing as an indoor tree. Some species will do well if you provide the proper conditions, others will languish and many will almost always fail. The trick it finding the right tree for your circumstance. Chinese Elms are pretty flexible and can be kept under a wide range of conditions.
For an outdoor plant, do you ever bring them in during the winter when it gets too cold outside. Sometimes it can get to -20 here, though not often. Should I bring them into a cool garage during this periods and then return them outside. I guess advice for winter care?
I do bring Chinese Elms into an unheated garage for the winter. This space gets fairly cold but is not nearly as harsh as outside. I bring them inside around Thanksgiving after they get a good taste of cold weather.
though I have heard they can be indoor as well.
Another way to handle this species is to leave it outside, as above, and then bring it in where it will leaf out. This way it still gets to experience a dormancy but you have something to enjoy over the winter.
I know the ficus is recommended but I am not really a fan. So I am lost on what to do for an inside tree.
I know what you mean about Ficus, especially the Ginseng Ficus. I never found them especially appealing but that is a matter of personal preference. Check out a species called Willow Leaf Ficus (F. neriifolia or F. salicifolia.) This species has a much more traditional look, at least to me.

https://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/info/FicusSal.html

Make sure to browse the rest of that site, you may change your mind about Ficus.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

The species avalible for indoor bonsai is huge. There are probably just as many as outdoor bonsai. I can compile a list of indoor bonsai types I've worked with before if you like.

IndorBonsai

For a indoor Bonsai I would recommend the Natal Plum, This seems to be one of the strongest, easiest to care for indoor Bonsai I have ever had. I have re-potted one sever times this year and it is still growing like crazy.
They seem to like indirect sunlight or florescent lighting.

I placed one of mine outside in a area that only got morning sunlight for about 2 hours, and the sunlight burned the leaves. I moved it back inside, placed it in a east facing window, and it is all happy again :)

For a outdoor Bonsai I would defiantly recommend a Chinese Elm.
I am new to these trees but I love them. I bought 2 starter Chinese elms and placed one outside and one inside, The one outside is growing like crazy and the one indoors I moved outside LOL because it wasn't growing as good. In winter around thanksgiving I will move one of them back inside, and leave the other outside ( In my garage with my other outdoor bonsai ).

I bought another large Chinese Elm and it will be here Monday, I cant wait :) The web site I bought it from I asked to take some pictures of there trees and I would pick the one I wanted, They did and I picked the one I wanted. I asked that they don't trim it, or anything. When it gets here I will post some pictures and ask others on this forum for ideas on styling it, it will be alot of fun :D

Anyway good luck and welcome to the forum 8)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”