MinatureGarden

White mold, black trunk In one ay, what the heck?

Ok so When I went to bed last night I rolled over to check on my Norfolk Pine in my miniature japanese garden setup. One of the trunks previously had lots a bit of it's outer bark, but being a newbie I thought very little of it. Well, I've had it for about two months and when I rolled over last night there was white cottony (what I can only assume it mold) growing over the spot.

It's not mealy because it doesn't look like mealy, it looks like cotton whisp. Looking closely at the trunk, I noticed it's rotten looking. I'm going to post a picture when I get back home from school, but it anyone knows what it is please tell me! I want to save this tree. It seems o work fast because this is the first I've seen on it and it's right never to my bed so I would have noticed. I was gonna plant my kyoto moss today but I think I'll hold off till I figure out what this is. I really want to save this plant so suggestions are welcome!

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Is it possible to get some pictures of the tree? I cannot say exacly what it is with no pictures.

MinatureGarden

This is the best picture I could get of it, As you can see there's like a white 'cotton tuff' on it and you can kinda see the damage it's causing the trunk (the black stuff). My dad suggested spider mites? I'm gonna buy some insecticide tomorrow and treat it, but I'd like to know what it is first...

https://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7154/img0369m.jpg

IndorBonsai

It dosent look like spider mites to me.
Neem oil might help it tho because it is both a insecticide and a fungicide. This link will help explain more about neem oil.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=925

Also the tree of yours looks like juniper, which is a outdoor tree, and if it is a juniper it will do better if placed outside in a full sun location.

MinatureGarden

ok, I'll try to get neem oil. And it's a Norfolk Pine :) he's been doing really well, very few brown tipped leaves (if any), not 'bleeding' of sap, and he's behaving well under the wires I've got on him. This is the first sign of any illness he's shown, makes me really sad :( But I'll get some neem oil and hope it helps

applestar
Mod

In case it IS fungus, why don't you try spraying with 1:10 (milk:water) solution first? Neem oil would simply smother the fungus, but the 10% milk solution will promote healthy bacterial/biological activity. Sprinkling with ground cinnamon works too.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

That is definitely a fungus. It looks very bad at this point, I would even go so far as to say skip the milk and neem oil and go with something like a lime sulfur fungicide. This also has the bonus ability to soak into the wood that is exposed and prevent further rot. It seems that the fungus attack was brought on in part by the wet conditions present where you're keeping it. Norfolk Island Pines do not like wet soil, and excessive humidity should be avoided.

MinatureGarden

Just wanted to let everyone know it went away :) The day after I stopped adding any water and left the light on hoping to get rid of some of the moister to help it till I could get fungicide. Two days later the fuzz was completely gone. =) So I'm going to treat with the milk solution and try to keep the moister at a more comfortable level, I had just done a watering and I must have added to much water ><

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Fungal issues are often watering issues. You did well to stop watering at the first sign. Many fungal diseases in soil are sapprophitic, only attacking dead material, but they still sometimes pop up on living tissue. That sounds like the case here, but be looking for sunken areas around the fruiting site and note the general condition of the tree. Remember, less is more with the water right now...

Your soil seems heavy. [url=https://www.janeresture.com/norfolk/index.htm]Norfolk Island[/url] is a tropical island, so a bit more sand might help drainage, and stop your fungal issues. Think about it next repotting...

HG

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”