logic1248

advise with The chinese elm again...new info

I finally got the tree safely out of its pot and the roots are kinda crowded on the bottom as tends to happen but there is still some soil throughout. If it were earlier I would be pruning the roots for sure, they seem to have some sections of the finer roots at the bottom dying off which may be the cause in the static condition of the trees growth but I expected a much more crowded situation for such a slow down.

Could there be another reason for it pausing new growth? It has lost a few more leaves which I know is possible just cause I haven't had it home long and its adjusting but it doesn't hurt to give all the details. The pot does dry out fast for a semi cascade pot even for this time of year, especially when there arn't any new shoots on it.

This is usually another sign that it needs more room for the roots so I got a sufficent size clay pot to hold the undisturbed root ball and some new soil till next spring, and new ideas or possibilities??? or is this still my least stressful way to try for more vigor in your guys'/gals' opinion? Thanks again for all your help.

Hassan

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Hassan,

I think the slip potting would be a good choice for this year. I did a small Chinese Elm last summer. I had just purchased it and it was in really poor soil so I took a chance and bare rooted it even though it was out of season, the tree responded nicely. It was a risk but it turned out OK. The only other thing I would suggest is that you do prune any dead roots that you find.

Norm

logic1248

Thank you very much and I agree. I have also bare rooted chinese elms off season without any ill effects but they were all perfectly healthy in every way so I am gonna do exactly what you said and slip pot it, already bought a terracotta pot for it till next spring. I will also gently prune any visible dead roots.
I am gonna do it tomorrow and I'll post pics to show you all the root ball I have definitely seen more overgrown roots but the interior of the root ball is anyones guess, the lady at the greenhouse is pretty sure that the last time it was repotted was over 4 years ago so hopefully this will give it some room to stretch and grow. Wish her luck and thanks for everyone who gave advice on this tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”