logic1248

Collecting junipers from the ground?

I have several shrub type junipers in my yard that I want to pot for training in bonsai. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know with conifers you should keep the native soil when you remove it from the ground and I know its best in early spring or late autumn but all the books I read give a different amount of roots to keep and was just looking for any tips that might be out there in any area of collecting junipers. Thanks
-Peace

IndorBonsai

I have never tried it with junipers, but I have done it with several different evergreen trees/pine trees.

If when I dig/pull the tree up I don't get much roots. I rinse off the old soil and put it in long fiber sphagnum moss. This has worked extremely well, even on trees I dident get but maybe 1 inch of the tap root and no hair roots on.

If its a larger tree and I am able to get most of the roots I rince off all the old soil and plant it into a small or medium particle ( but well draining) high organic bonsai soil.

If it is a small tree and being put into a starter 3 inch or so round pot then I normally just keep it in its old soil for the first year or so of growth.

Remember to keep it in the shade for awhile so the tree can regrow and adjust to its new home.
If your going to have art in your house why not make it living art. :D

Jason

logic1248

you rinsed the soil off of the evergreens?Cool, my books tell me not to do that haha. Also will doing it in the autumn be noticeably worse than in spring?
-Peace

IndorBonsai

I am not sure, either way the trees will have to go through a sulking/adjusting period.

I just do it whenever I find a little tree in my garden beds, or when hiking, and so on. Basically I just do it whenever. My trees are still alive, I could be just lucky tho.
If your going to have art in your house why not make it living art. :D

Jason

logic1248

tradition i have heard is to dig up the tree as soon as you come across it so that makes sense, ill probably do it this week and just add some rooting compound to the water to aid things. Thanks
-Peace

Gnome
Mod

logic1248,

I've never collected a Juniper so this is not spot on target but every time I bare rooted a Pine I killed it. I collected two new ones a while back and this time I left them in their native soil. The soil is almost pure clay and part of me wants desperately to get rid of it but for now they stay as they are and for now they look OK.

Norm

logic1248

I planned on( and still do) leaving the native soil intact and even covering in plastic tent for a while to retain moisture, and then like i mention the rooting compound added to the water. I think with these precautions and a little diligence they will do great, they have had some of the major pruning done last year but it was alot of pruning so I left them in the ground, if they make it they will some great bonsai, very aged trunks though the branch work is lacking due to the hard pruning.
Thanks as always for taking the time to help.
-Peace

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”