siston1
Newly Registered

New Juniper

One week ago I got a new little juniper. I put it next to my gardenia bonsai under the fluorescent light fixture. The light stays on about 12 hours a day. Both plants seem to be doing well. I mist them each day and water them every couple days.

I am starting to wonder if the juniper should get as much light as the gardenia. So far, so good, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Susan

alisios

Sorry for the late response, but your Juniper should be outdoors with a lot of sun and have its' ever so important dormant period in the the winter.

Keeping it indoors will spell disaster no matter how much light you give it.

logic1248

I totally agree with Alisios the best place for a juniper is outside. That being said I have a greenhouse near me who does indoor juniper procumbus nanas inside all year, these species are very much tolerant of tropical tree treatment but will also take a dormant period if offered one I got one as a cutting from a friend and its doing very well outside. Another guy I ran into that does only junipers and fukien teas for the last 30 years has another breed though I don't know the name offhand that he says thrives indoors. I have a bunch of indoor bonsai but when a species can stay outside you wanna put real thought into keeping there cause to me nothing can possible age a tree and add character like mother nature.
As far as lighting goes this is a,relatively at least newborn technique in bonsai. I have been interested in trying it with my trees but there is very little reliable info on the subject and I haven't done it yet so how is that going for you in general? a few people on this forum seem to have gotten some decent results but I am new to the forum and just browsed some of the lighting threads there could be some info in the archives here for that.

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Juniperus bonsai + indoors = dead bonsai.

That's a virtual 100% certainty.

With that said, J. procumbens can take Zone 8-9, not tropical, but subtropical or close to subtropical. J. horizontalis can take Zone 9-10. BUT, they STILL do not do well indoors. Just do a search here on Junipers. You might find the sheer number of dead/dying trees enlightening.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”