logic1248

Chinese Elm... is May Too Late in the Year to Repot?

I have recently posted a question about my chinese elm and I am almost positive that the lack of new growth is do to the tree being root bound.I know ideally I should have repoted it weeks or months ago but it was not my tree then and the roots are very overgrown so I was wondering if anyone else has any experience with repoting these trees off season. I have repotted several but they were all babies by comparison and not in a slightly weakened state. Also I was wondering if any of you know how to acclimatise the tree a deciduous tree instead of an indoor this winter the chinese elm was originally an outdoor tree but it then spent 6 years in a greenhouse year round. Thanks for any input.[img]https://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/logic1248/bonsai167.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/logic1248/bonsai173.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/logic1248/bonsai175-1.jpg[/img]
a younger chinese elm I've been training a littlewhile, mainly the root training the shaping is just starting.
[img]https://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/logic1248/bonsai178.jpg[/img]
Thanks

IndorBonsai

What you can do is take it out of the pot, carefully trying not to disturb the roots or the soil much, then place it in a larger pot with soil around it.

This will hopefully help your tree become stronger, Then later ( early next spring) you can do the root trimming and place it back in its original pot.

uzeyr

I completely agree with what indor bonsai said
I honestly had the best chinese elm and it was fine just not growing I don't know why that disturbed me and I went and repotted it I'm tellin u after the repot it yellowed more lost more leaves etc
its fine now but doesnt look the same

on the other hand I thinku can repot it make sure u use the same soil mixture as this will help I have tried it before :lol:
but I got to say abit of shaping that elm will be a nice tree not this its already not :)
hope that helped

uzeyr

oh yeha sorry just rembered something :P
um if you do repot it and the tree doesnt take it to well ,keep it outside after the repot
onfact why don't u try keeping it outside its become pretty warm here anyway ( uk ) I put that elm out a week ago I have not seen so muchgrowth before
I mean lets face it the trees do better outside 8)

logic1248

Thank you!!I am gonna stew on in a couple of days but I think I am either gonna put it in the larger pot just like indoor said or just leave it as is till late fall or next spring I will have to meditate on it after I get it gently out of the pot to make sure there isn't a dire situation going on down there. As long as the temp. allows I keep my trees outside because they seem to grow exponentially when I put them out in the spring and humidity is supplied naturally while my house tends to get very arid.

I really never felt so nervous with a tree before I have had my others for years with no major problems and have educated myself on many many techniques I just lost my nerve with this one haha. Its like the buddhist view of attachment once I was attached to the tree it altered my way of thinking and confidence.

How cold is too cold for these trees, my younger ones can take the 50 degree nights just fine, will this older one be ok with the chilly nights (50 degrees) have here in ohio? I really don't wanna move it back and forth at night but I will if it helps haha.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

logic1248,
How cold is too cold for these trees, my younger ones can take the 50 degree nights just fine, will this older one be ok with the chilly nights (50 degrees) have here in ohio? I really don't wanna move it back and forth at night but I will if it helps haha.
Don't move it inside at night, your Elm is hardy much lower than 50F. I leave mine out until around Thanksgiving, this allows them to properly harden off in preparation for dormancy. Even a small one I brought in last winter was allowed a cold period before bringing it inside. Not sure if I will do this again or leave it dormant (with some protection) with my others.

Norm

logic1248

Thanks that was very helpful, I only thought of doing it because it was in a warm greenhouse the last 6 years but now it will be in by yard, sheltered from the hottest sun of course with my other trees.
So if I want it dormant this winter I just allow it outside in the gradual cold? I know the processes for protecting the pots from freezes but are there any other steps if its an established indoor tree, or should I just bring it in when winter comes?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

logic1248,
Thanks that was very helpful,
You're welcome. :)
I only thought of doing it because it was in a warm greenhouse the last 6 years but now it will be in by yard, sheltered from the hottest sun of course with my other trees.
I'm unsure of the exact status of this tree. Is it already staying outside during the day or are you contemplating how to acclimatize it currently? If it is already outside then I would just find a good spot and leave it alone. Even if you are still transitioning it I would look for a sheltered location but still leave it outside at night.
So if I want it dormant this winter I just allow it outside in the gradual cold?
Yes, although shortening day length plays just as much, or more, of a role than the actual temperatures involved.
I know the processes for protecting the pots from freezes but are there any other steps if its an established indoor tree, or should I just bring it in when winter comes?
Chinese Elms have a wide distribution in nature so I am reluctant to make blanket statements. I currently have two varieties and have previously lost two others. One I know why, too frequent re-potting, the other I'm not certain.

You have three options with Chinese Elms. Keep it inside indefinitely; not my choice. Allow it a full dormancy; my usual method. Allow a brief dormancy early in the season and then bring it indoors under supplemental lighting; I'm still experimenting with this one. Luckily you don't have to worry about that anytime soon.

Norm

logic1248

The tree is outside in a sheltered spot. I had brought it in a couple of nights but now it stays outside all the time. I haven't been able to get it out of the pot gently yet I am waiting for it to dry out a bit more and try again. If the soil to root ratio is too small I will be putting it in a larger clay pot like indor advised till next spring to give the roots somewhere to grow. Haven't decided if it is staying outside this winter yet. Any tips on getting it out of a pot that has a curve to it? it seems to be holding itself in pretty good.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”