Krazykid2323
Newly Registered

Help for Jap. Maple and Azalea Bonsai

Hello, I'm a beginner when it comes to bonsai but I've started quite a collection recently and was hoping I could get some tips for you guys. First, I have a three year old Japanese maple that was pruned in the spring then severely over watered when I went on vacation and hasn't grown since. When I scraped the trunk a little I saw that it was green underneath but I worried about the time it takes to recover. Is my tree dead? If not what are it's chances of recovery? Or is this normal after intense pruning and or watering?
Secondly I recently purchased an Azalea and have begun training it as well, I read that it needs to be kept in a spot with minimal sunlight, my question is, how minimal? Also I was wondering how I would be able to get the most out of the flowers, what can I do to get more flowers? How do I manage the Azalea when the flowers begin to wilt (do I remove the whole flower or just the petals). Any info is appreciated ! Thank you! :D

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Krazykid2323,

Don't panic about the Maple, just maintain even moisture it will probably be OK. The Azalea will do well in a spot with filtered sunlight. If you cannot provide that then morning sun is preferable to afternoon sun. They will flower once a season so you wont get another flush this year.

Norm

applestar
Mod

I don't know how to care for azalea as a bonsai, but in the landscape, their larger cousin Rhododendron produce buds -- which grow into shoots with terminal flower clusters for next year -- at the base of this year's flowers. So when the flower trumpets wither, detach, and slide off the base, you can gently break them off at the base of the flower cluster. Doing this early promotes more vigorous bud growth and, therefore, better flowering next year, because the plant won't put energy into trying to develop seeds. Also, it's harder to remove them after the buds start to grow.

Now, with Rhodo's, you can grasp the flower cluster and give a quick snap. I'm not sure about azaleas -- due to their size, you may have to cut with your bonsai scissors. If you examine the base of the cluster, you should be able to see the tiny buds, so be sure not to damage them. The general recommendation is to do this within 4 weeks after flowering is over.

With Rhodo's there are usually 3 or 5 buds, and after they start to grow and become obvious, it's a good time to bud prune (just break them off) to control which way you want the plant to grow.

Hope that helps! :wink:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”