JosephHutch
Newly Registered

My starter juniper bonsai leaves are turning brown

I was in home depot, buying some cactus, and I found a tiny bonsai plant knocked over and laying on the ground out of its pot, I felt bad and bought it. I have had it now for about two weeks and I did alot of reasearch on taking care of it. But I cant seem to figure out why its turning brown. my city has had alot of rain for the past four days and they just started turning after all of this rain. is this from to much water? Or is it because I have a bad plant? And is there anything I can do? sorry for all of the questions

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JosephHutch,

I hate to say it but I think you bought a plant that was in distress and you were almost doomed to failure from the start. These types of 'bonsai' are really little more than cuttings stuck in a small bonsai pot. They are generally not well established, potted in an inappropriate medium, shipped cross country and neglected upon arrival. Almost nobody has a good experience with these types of trees.

You might move it to a location that gets morning sun only and try misting it daily. The soil, which I assume is primarily peat, is going to be difficult to manage. It likely holds water too long and once dry is difficult to re-wet. Try not to let this type of medium get really dry but you cannot keep it soggy either.

Most importantly, don't get too down on yourself if/when this ones dies, we all kill trees, have trouble with insects and disease and make foolish mistakes, it's part of the learning curve.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”