johnrfitz
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm Bonsai

Have been reading a lot of the posts on Chinese elm, but haven't seen any with similar issue to mine. I get new growth very sporadically. New branch will sprout and then after about 3 leaves it will die out. Also I get a lot of "false starts" (little branches that appear to burn out before they get going. Any ideas? Tree is now outside for the summer though this condition held in early spring as well when tree was still inside.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

My only say here is it could be due to a lack of humidity or a pest/disease. Some pictures may help, but wait for someone else to put in there input before you decide anything.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

johnrfitz,

How long have you had it and what condition was it in when you got it? While it was inside how did you manage it WRT lighting and watering? Is the soil really dense or is it loose and open. It is possible that it is potted in an inferior medium and would benefit from being re-potted. But don't rush into anything before you do some research. Pictures would indeed be helpful.

Norm

johnrfitz
Newly Registered

ok, I will get a picture, but I can't see here how to upload it. I have had it for about a year and a half. got it in the winter and transformed it from a scraggily broom to the informal upright "wanna be' that it is now.

Since I got it in winter and it had leaves I figured that it had been kept inside so that's what I did. Didn't get much growth the first summer which I put down to recovery from the heavy "styling" (quotes because I wouldn't call it styled yet).

This spring I repotted into a deciduous bonsai soil which I bought from new england bonsai. I did trim the roots some but that was two and a half months ago and I got growth in mid spring so felt good about it.

I use a toothpick to judge watering. Pot might be too deep for the roots as it takes a long time for the bottom to dry.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

johnrfitz,
ok, I will get a picture, but I can't see here how to upload it.
We don't host photos here so you must host them at a third party site and link to them. Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]here[/url] for instructions. But now that I hear your description I am doubtful that a picture will provide any further clues, you seem to have the basics covered. But still it can't hurt.
Since I got it in winter and it had leaves I figured that it had been kept inside so that's what I did.
I would have done the same.
Didn't get much growth the first summer
Here is where you may have gone astray. You don't specify whether you kept it inside at this time. If you are able to locate it outside I feel that is really a better choice. BTW, please fill in a location in your profile. You need not be terribly specific.

Next, I wonder if you allowed it a rest period over last winter? Even though Chinese Elms are sub-tropical I always let them go through the winter cold. Even the one I experimented with last winter was allowed a brief dormancy, until around Christmas, before I brought it inside.

You have not mentioned if you have fertilized it throughout the time you have owned it. Also, as bonsaiboy suggests, there is the possibility of insects or disease. I have had some trouble (on another type of Elm) with an insect that I believe to be Thrips. Very small, hard to spot or identify. The new shoots curled and withered, it now has no foliage at all and I am not hopeful.

One more thought, Chinese Elms are very susceptible to a fungal disease called Black Spot. This is primarily a problem only during the spring when the weather is cool and damp and manifests itself with small lesions that increase in size and eventually retreats to the leaf stem and, if not controlled, will infect twigs.

These are just some thoughts, not anything certain, I hope it helps.

Norm

johnrfitz
Newly Registered

Thank you. I live in New Jersey.

I think I was a little back and forth on the inside / outside last summer, but this year it is decidedly outside. I have removed some of the surface soil so I can get a better sense of how it dries out. I fertilize with an even percentage liquid and have stuck generally to the recommended timing. Once every two weeks now that it's spring.

I will check closely for some kind of bug or disease though it doesn't seem like its sick.

I will get the picture on line just the same though its not much to look at yet and we will just have to wait and see.

Thanks again.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”