honeydarling
Newly Registered

Help, my Bonsai is dying

My bonsai's leaves started turning yellow 6 or so weeks ago, pretty much out of the blue. She's been in the same window, receiving pretty much the same amount of water for the last 18 months. Her pot has two big holes in the bottom, so she's never sitting in water. I definitely watered her less over the winter (3-4 times per week) as opposed to the last few months when she's been watered every other day.

I was getting worried and so I ran some plant food through with her watering about three weeks ago. I thought maybe she was just hungry. Her leaves have gotten progressively yellow and feeding didn't seem to help.

There's no heater blowing on her and as far as I can tell, her environment hasn't changed. I don't see any signs of infestation under the leaves or in the moss, although the yellowing leaves have brown spots that seem to get darker and more pronounced as the leaf becomes more yellow (this could just be part of the yellowing process?).

We took her out of her pot yesterday and I gave her fresh potting soil. She's sitting on the front porch now, although I'm a little worried it's going to get a bit warm for her over the next week or so.

Do you have any ideas? Are there any bonsai doctors out there? I am so worried and sad and I just don't know what else to do. Thank you so much if you are able to help. Can you tell me what kind of tree she is?

[img]https://koencidence.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/img_0039-375x500.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

honeydarling,

When you re-potted it what was the condition of the roots and soil? Was the old soil dry in pockets or overly wet? Did the roots seem healthy and firm or soft and mushy? Were the roots filling the pot and was any root pruning required to get it back in to the pot?

In case you don't know I am pretty sure that it is a Fukien Tea. look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]here[/url] for some tips on this species.

Norm

IndorBonsai

From the reading I have done and experience with my own Fukien Tea Yellowing leaves means it is getting to much water. Let the soil dry out till it is almost completely dry before watering again and every time you water. These trees like a drying period between waterings. Also place it back in the same spot it was for the past 18 months. don't stress the tree out any more by moving it to a new location right now.

So I bet if you let the soil dry out abit and only water when the soil is almost completely dry your tree will become healthier. You can remove the yellow leaves. I don't know if this is true but I think removing the yellow leaves is good. That way the tree dosent have to spend its energy trying to support them.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”